Sediment and Secondary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Namaste

Junior
Reaction score
I'm currently on day 13 of making my Selection Original Barolo kit. The instructions for the kit say to leave "most of the sediment" behind when racking but when I transferred to the secondary I used the spigot from the bucket as opposed to the siphon. I'm thinking now I may have transferred more sediment than I should have (only because I didn't want to waste any wine).

How crucial is it if some extra sediment gets transferred? Is it something I should be concerned aboutor do another racking to remove or should I just let it go?

Bryan

It is nothing critical at all. It will get left behind at the next racking. That will occur before it has been in the carboy long enough to make any real difference.

You should be ok if you left the heavy lees behind, can't miss them all, as long as you didn't stir before transfer. Using the spigot would have left behind the bottom bunch. I'd just wait for the next time to rack by syphon and leave them behind too.

There should be some more help along shortly.
Good Luck

Edit: man appleman is fast or I type really slow?Edited by: Scott

Latest posts

Back