Secondary fermentation in Demijohn

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wine is currently in secondary fermentation in my garage at 22 degrees Celsius. What difference would it make if I rack and transfer to cellar in four weeks instead of two weeks?

My wine is currently in secondary fermentation in my garage at 22 degrees Celsius. What difference would it make if I rack and transfer to cellar in four weeks instead of two weeks?

I am sure you are protecting it with an airlock. I don't think it would make a lot of difference if you have to leave it for an extra two weeks. It would be best to move it as soon as possible to the cellar which I imagine has a lower and more constant temperature and probably better protection from UV light.

I am sure you are protecting it with an airlock. I don't think it would make a lot of difference if you have to leave it for an extra two weeks. It would be best to move it as soon as possible to the cellar which I imagine has a lower and more constant temperature and probably better protection from UV light.

Hey Rocky, yes they are all properly air locked and for sure the cellar has more constant temperature and is cold and dark.

My father insists on racking it one more time in a few months from now before it is ready to drink. Is this necessary?

Do yourself and your back a favor.
To transfer your wine from garage to cellar look into purchasing the allinonewinepump.com. It will even transfer from cellar to garage if need be.

Back