Running Low!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We try to make every aspect of dealing with us, rewarding!
smiley24.gif

20070330_050204_readytorack.jpg

So its day 8 , sg has been at 1.00 for two days, thats right, time to rack to secondary for Mr. Lambrusco...
20070330_050402_fillerup.jpg

Filler up! Smell is truly incredible, didn't taste it (much, yeah its good). Big difference between this and the Pinot Noir I have going is the addition of oak. Lambrusco calls for it in the secondary, while the Pinot was in the primary. Anyone know the difference in the two methods? Instructions say the alcohol content helps extract the oak , be interesting to do two of these and see if there is truly a difference. The oak for Lamb was a dark, but didn't specify what kind, maybe a Minnesota Oak?
20070330_050811_Cousins.jpg

Two happy cousins, only a week or two apart, man, I better round up some more bottles soon!
20070330_050943_clownboy.jpg

I have wondered about the difference of adding oak to the primary or secondary too.....

Last week I mixed up a Strawberry/Red Grape and put the oak in the Primary, did the same this week with a Raspberry/Red Grape...so have 2 good tests going....also added a Vanilla Bean to each batch.

Found some oak chips stuck in the Primary spigot, that was the only problem that way.

Might get more oak extraction in the secondary because of more contact time...Time will tell.

George, your peanuts do great, and FedEx ground too...

I hesitate to tell a story on my ex -- but years ago when I was in the Army she sent me a box of cookies -- weighed about 10 lbs and shook like BB's went I got it. And upon opening, I found all the cookies broken into crumbs and mixed thoroughly with the popcorn. It was really hard to figure out a way to tell her, without being "judgemental" -- "Honey, I think you're supposed to POP the popcorn before you pack the cookies...."

Time to Stabilize and Clear Pinot Noir, so here we go....
20070404_061748_stabnoir_Small.jpg

At first I didn't think much gas coming off of it, but then..quick, get a glass!
20070404_062044_jwx_Small.jpg

Don't have a fizz-x , but things were slow one night at work, so a trip to the shop, looking through the scrap stainless and wallah , a Jw-X
20070404_062239_jwx2_Small.jpg

Its been working great, and its very heavy duty...if anything it might wreck my drill , or destroy a carboy if not paying careful attention, so as they say "Don't try this at Home"...But I do.

Had the day off yesterday, so was busy catching up on all the honey do's...down in the basement sawing and hammering, wondering how to get out of that long list, when it hit me! hey Dear!, you hungry? Road trip...
20070405_043745_trip3_Small.jpg

Hey, that guy on the right is building a vinyard behind his barn..I better stop in some day and see if he needs a hand!
20070405_043948_trip1_Small.jpg

Its too cold to fire up the grill, and snow flurries would make it no fun, Lets let this guy do the cookin!
20070405_044147_trip2_Small.jpg

Of course I ate all mine, but can always count on the wife to have some left for later! Rib Tips, make a nice snack after all the chores are done.
20070405_044351_trip4_Small.jpg

Ahh, the mighty Minnesota river, running full. Had a real hard time when we moved here getting my sense of direction, think the fact this river runs north may of had something to do with that. Its on its way to the Mississippi...and im off to the basement to finish that to do list, but it was a nice break!

That rack looks lonely! Nice job. Now you just have to fill it, thats the hardest part!
smiley4.gif

appleman said:
Good job JW. A place to put some of your Private Reserve. What kind of wine did you have with the ribs?

Ice Tea..
smiley36.gif
Guess all those years of telling the kids "If I ever catch you drinking and driving..." Well, at least I got the message,and never have one even with a dinner if we are out,so had to wait till I dipped into the left overs, then a glass of Pineapple Wine made in January, not bad together!

Thanks for the complements, this was the first try, just to see how it comes out,and for basement storage (hiding)Thinking of getting some quality wood, and maybe some slight modifications to put upstairs.

Day 20 already for Mr. Lambrusco, sg was .995 , so rack time!
20070411_170749_lambstab_Small.jpg

Ever wonder what goes on deep inside when your racking a wine? I took a look...
20070411_170951_lamblook_Small.jpg

Pretty cool view, wasn't easy crawling into that carboy to take a shot, not a lot of gas in this one, at least not near as much as the Pinot Noir...
20070411_171141_gas_Small.jpg

While I was looking around, I took a peak at my mead, Clover and Buckwheat honey, Blueberries, Banana , and dark toast French Oak, gotta wonder how that will turn out.
20070411_171456_meadstuff_Small.jpg

Getting so close to done on the two Kits I have going, already looking ahead, think I need more peanuts from George, so....thinking Chardasia, sound interesting!

You realize of course that all of you that are ordering the strange name MM kits are making me question what I have been told about wine names. I was taught that the strange names don't sell. I am not having any trouble with the Greesling, Chardonasia, etc. I even sold a Pinomer which sounds way too close to Pee-No-More.

smiley36.gif
Did you really think any of your customers fit the average profile?
smiley36.gif
You could put your winemaster members up against any forum group, and they wouldtruly baffle and impress them with there knowledge and experiences!

JW,

You are sooooooo correct!
smiley20.gif

and I stand properly chastised for not remembering the quality of my wine makers!
smiley9.gif

Latest posts

Back