Cellar Craft Rosso Fortissimo Topping Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Sudz
Reaction score
We're making a Rosso Fortissimo and I want to top off using a similar wine. Not sure what that would be for this wine. What are you guys using?

I typically use argon since I'm only in the carboy three weeks or so for clearing. Would prefer to age in the carboy but alas no space in my place. Anyway, I really want to eliminate any concern for oxidation on this wine so I plan on using wine to top off.

It's a Cab/Merlot/Sangiovese blend. You should be able to find something inexpensive with a similar mix. While not exactly the same wine, I topped off my Winery Series Super Tuscan with a Sangiovese/Merlot blend.

For reds, when you can't easily match the varietal, a Merlot tends to have a neutral enough flavor profile, which makes it a nice, general wine for topping off.

Lots of Trader Joe's Super Tuscan wine for ~$5

If you don't have a TJ's then mix in an inexpensive 50/50 Cab Sauv and Sangiovese

I used Yellow Tail merlot to top mine up. Mine's been in the carboy since November. Thinking about bottling soon. :ib

The wine is a Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Sangiovese blend. Which of these wines (alone) would be your favorite? (Mine would be the Sangiovese) I would add that wine to top off to give my Rosso Fortissimo a little more of what I like. But that is just I.

Latest posts

Back