Robins and cherrys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne

Reaction score
Looks like I'm gonna have to net my cherry tree. Last year they all came ripe at once, this year everything is a little slow and the robins are takeing them about as fast as they turn red. I would like to get about 40 lbs for my wine. That should make about 10 gal. I used 20 lb in 5 gal. last year and it has plenty of flavor. Just getting around to bottling it now, gotta empty the carboy so I can fill it up again. These are pie cherries and they take a lot of sweetening. Brought it back up to 1.012, but really brought out the good flavor with that much sugar. Take care, Arne.

Looks like I'm gonna have to net my cherry tree. Last year they all came ripe at once, this year everything is a little slow and the robins are takeing them about as fast as they turn red. I would like to get about 40 lbs for my wine. That should make about 10 gal. I used 20 lb in 5 gal. last year and it has plenty of flavor. Just getting around to bottling it now, gotta empty the carboy so I can fill it up again. These are pie cherries and they take a lot of sweetening. Brought it back up to 1.012, but really brought out the good flavor with that much sugar. Take care, Arne.

Arne,

Get an owl decoy and put it up beside your cherry tree. LOL, now chipmunks don't seem to mine that owl but the robins won't come near your cherry tree.

I've also used moth balls in paint strainer sacks to keep the squirrels and birds off of my plums. I put about a cup full in each bag and hang them randomly throughout the trees. You might try that, too.

When looking into buying netting look into buying Bale Net Wrap that goes around large hay rolls. I would think it would be easier to work with and cheaper.

Already have the netting. just kinda hate to use it. Have trapped robins in there once in a while. They come in from the bottom or the top and can't get back out. Gonna net it this afternoon, tho. Arne.

Back