RJ Spagnols RJS Winery Series Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just put on an RJS Winery Series Amarone and had a very pleasant surprise. It came with a grape pack and a raisin pack. This did not show in the "parts list" or in the "assembly instructions" so I called George. He gave me a great tip and said to pulse the raisins in a food processor to break up the skinsbefore adding them in the fermentation step. The initial SG was 1.100 but I expect this to go up due to the grape pack and the raisins.

In an earlier post, Wade noted that the RJS EP Amarone had both the grape and raisin packs. For some marketing reason it appears they have added it to the Winery Series also. My wife and I really enjoy a good Amarone and are looking forward to this and possibly having a bottle or two that makes it to two years! As I have said before, at our ages we don't even buy green bananas.

With those raisins and the richness of that wine, you will be lucky if it is even drinkable in 18 months or really nice in 24 months. If you are patient, RJS will reward you nicely, I know.
My Amarone, which is a Mosti Ren Amarone, is 18 months old, now. It was made with a raisin pack. It is barely drinkable at this stage. Plus, I didn't get all the CO2 out, so at present, for every bottle I have opened (only 3), I have had to decant for at least 12 hours to get the CO2 out and allowsome aroma and any flavor at all to come through.
With those early wines, which I made, I thought I had done a decent job of degassing... Many out there will not agree I know, but I do think the hardest thing toget rightin home wine making is getting rid of all the CO2. (even with a nice vacuum pump)
From my experience at the local wine club, about everyone there has the same problem except many don't know it. Everyone brings samples of their own wine. Much of it still is loaded with CO2. I think we just get used to drinking lots of CO2 in our home made wine but we don't really realize it.
Seems sometimes the tartness of a young red winemight be gettingconfused with the bitterness of CO2. All I can say is fill a bottle about half full and shake the heck out of it. If you get tiny, coke-sized bubbles and not just big old air bubbles, you still need to degas.

Just an update on the vitals: SG is up to 1.110+, wine temp is 76 degrees F and ambient temp is 74 degrees F. Those raisins added some appreciable sugar to the wine.

Dancer, when you say "barely drinkable" could you elaborate on just what you mean? Is it, "Yuck, this is really (what?...fill in the blank)." Maybe I don't have the sophisticated discernment that others do, but I have made several wines since January this year and we have drunk a little of all of them. There is no danger of them making "Wine Spectator's" list, but they are certainly "drinkable."

Also, when I de-gas my wine, I move them to a primary fermenter and use the stirrer on my electric drill. In this way, there is no danger of the "wine volcano" and I feel I get a full de-gassing. Lastly, I get very little to no tart taste in my reds.

Richard I've made that Amarone as well and at 2 years is when it really became something very special. I've also made the CC Showcase Amarone, but it has yet to turn the corner and after Dean said to wait 3-4 years I put all the bottles at the top of the wine rack - out of reach. It'll be 3 years in December so perhaps I'll try a bottle at that time.

As far as degassing, all I use is the stainless drill stirrer and it works great. I think a lot of the problem, especially with kits is getting the temps in that suggested 75 degree range, as well as realizing it does take more then 5 minutes or so that the kit directions state.

Rocky, I've heard nothing but great things about this kit. Make sure you save a case to enjoy at the 2-3 year mark. Or you could always just start another of the same kit every 6 months or so. You would make George very happy and you would have a nice stock pile of Amarone.

Rocky said:
Just an update on the vitals: SG is up to 1.110+, wine temp is 76 degrees F and ambient temp is 74 degrees F. Those raisins added some appreciable sugar to the wine.

Dancer, when you say "barely drinkable" could you elaborate on just what you mean? Is it, "Yuck, this is really (what?...fill in the blank)." Maybe I don't have the sophisticated discernment that others do, but I have made several wines since January this year and we have drunk a little of all of them. There is no danger of them making "Wine Spectator's" list, but they are certainly "drinkable."

Also, when I de-gas my wine, I move them to a primary fermenter and use the stirrer on my electric drill. In this way, there is no danger of the "wine volcano" and I feel I get a full de-gassing. Lastly, I get very little to no tart taste in my reds.

I am just complaining (pouting is a better word) because I recently discovered some of my first kits were still full of CO2 in the bottle. I thought I beat that CO2 to death until the battery in my drill ran down. Not so!
There is no sophisticated discernment here, just a personal preference concerning the drinkability of avery young red wine, that's all. Sophisticated?? Have you ever went to a wine tasting where you are supposed to guess the variety of the winethat comes fromseveral bottles, eachshielded in a paper bag? I had gotten where I thought I could "reasonably" tell what was what. I think I got 2 out of6 right!!! OneI got right was a Riesling. Well, that's because of the shape of the bottle. Not exactly a sophisticate, yet!!!
Drinkable to me means the tartness of a very young wine has gone.
Further, I guess "drinkable" would mean to me that if compared to a $12 commercial wine, which IMOthere are many that are not that bad, my wine would not have that tartness that most young red wines have for the first 18 months or so. Typically, a two year old commercial wine has smoothed out so you can get the full aroma and with the taste, youget all the subtle flavors, even if you can't name them. Of course in most cases those aromas and flavors will get even better with more time.
IMO, a two year old wine certainly may get much better over more time, but it no longer has that tartness. As an example, a $10 bottle of McManis Cab. Not a great wine, but drank side-by-side with a 2-month old cab would be much more fruity and very much less tart than the young wine.

If you are making some of the higher end kits, which I imagine you are (from this thread), I can't imaginethose reds, which you made since January,not beingpretty tart at this point in time. If you like them now, you are going to be pleasantly surprised if you keep some of them for a couple of years.
A good example IMO is the RJS Amarone you are making now. That is a very nice kit. Because of the raisins, right after clearing it is going totaste much more tart than a similar kit without raisins or grape pack, which comes in a smaller kit, likean eleven liter kit. The more total dissolved solids (TDS), the more tart the wine will be when young and the longer it will take for it to smooth out.
So, IMO, the less TDS, the sooner the tartness will go away. Such wines will peak sooner and not continue to get better and better with time.
In other words, most of the time, a high end red kit will require more aging to smooth out.
If you are going to drink your wines young, you would be better off buying the lower end reds, as they will get better sooner. They make some pretty good wine, too.
I am afraid thatyour RSJ Amarone kit will not fall into the early drinker category. My advice, once you bottle it, forget you have it for at least another18 months.

IMO, amarone is a wine that you need to acquire a taste for,its different in many ways and is worth waiting for ,the raisins add a depth to the wine and I believe this is the only tool the kit people can give us to try and mimic what the wine master of VALPOLICELLA have been doing for centuries,I'm starting to embark on a selections kit (amarone),my own is quite good,but I wanted to try a kit to see what the mfg. are tring to do,I had a bottle from WADE which was very good,I will adjust this along the way (when good wines gone bad) and be glad to share it with anyone to compare..end result,or discuss the works as I go along........degassing is important ,your introducing more to the wine with the addition of either the grape pacs/or raisins or both,good chemistry is need in the make up of this wine.....
smiley3.gif

Yep, Amarone means "little bitter" in italian, and you can certainly taste the bitter in commercial bottles of it! While it does pair well with many heavy types of dishes (grilled meats, stews, strong cheese), it's true enjoyment seems to come from sitting on the back porch with friends while sipping during sunset. Kind of a bitter after dinner wine. I like it very much and have sampled many commercial varieties, but it is an acquired taste.

I racked my Amarone today and was a little disappointed in the 5 1/2 gallon yield, but the qualities of the wine (taste, body, color and nose) are very promising.

yes in deed ,my ararome is 3years old in october,from juice from italy,added rasins after at the secondary for about 1.5 mos...made all the difference in the world along with oak powder to add to the body.by the end of a2 years I bottled it.and yes it was good had a blind tasting and all agree,however I opened a second bottle a short ways down the road and notice a slite taste of bubbles in my my mouth ,thats way I said good chemistry is need for fresh juice,after the fix,the wine settled down and is excellent,will make 12 galons more this fall...as far as went to drink or with what to eatwhen this wine is right,it really dosen't matter its that good to me...
smiley9.gif
..I have bought very expensive bottles and the least expensive their all goodwhen it comes to AMARONE..................
smiley36.gif
THIS IS TRULY THE KING OF WINES ...IMO..
smiley2.gif

Rocky, are you sure you used enough water as Ive never come up short on a Winery Series kit.

Wade, I may not have added enough water. I was using a 7.8 gallon fermenter (should have used my 10 gallon) and I was concerned about the level in the bucket. Plus, in my haste,I did the process out of order and had the bag of skins in the winebefore topping up to 23 liters with water. Sometimes I wonder how I got this far.

OK I started my International amarone kit today.if you would like to follow me i will show you how I take a good or fair kit beyonds its intent..go to when good wines gone bad.....

When I sampled my 18 month old MM Ren Amarone, I could taste the raisins, which came with the kit and were added per the instructions. I didn't much like that...

Dean, since I have never tasted a commercial Amarone, maybe I just don't know how it is supposed to taste. Maybe the bitterness was not so much from CO2 or its youthfulness, as it was just a part of the expected taste... not sure I am going to like this type of wine.

I am going to let it age until next January (2012) before I try it again.

(Yesterday I bottled my year-old RJS EP Delu Ranch Cab. After adding the Tan Cor Grand Cru awhile back, it has a much better mouth feel. I think this one is going to be really nice next May.)

DancerMan said:
When I sampled my 18 month old MM Ren Amarone, I could taste the raisins, which came with the kit and were added per the instructions. I didn't much like that...
I am finding more and more of the kits I make need close to 2 years to become balanced and well worth opening. Almost all of my production in the last 18 months has been limiteds, premium and ultra premium kits which may have something to do with that. The only lower end kits I have made lately are the WE Mezza Luna Red and the WE Luna Rosa. They are both drinking well at 9 months of age, but I am sure they will be even better at a year and a half to 2 years. Right now they are pleasantly fruity, but with some more age I expect the fruitiness to fade and more spice and tannins to show up. Your plan to wait until next Jan sounds like a good one to me. I will be interested to hear how the Amarone tastes then. The raisiny taste may well fade away somewhere between 2 and 3 years.

v1rotate said:
DancerMan said:
Your plan to wait until next Jan sounds like a good one to me. I will be interested to hear how the Amarone tastes then. The raisiny taste may well fade away somewhere between 2 and 3 years.

I know a good Amarone can age for many years. I once read that you shouldn't drink a commercial one that's less than 10 years old.

In January, I'll let everyone know how it is. I, too, am hoping the raisin taste will fade.

I recently made a MM Meglioli Borolo, which came with both raisins and a grape pack... for obvious reasons, I used only the grape pack.

If possible you should treat yourself to a commercial bottle it really doesn't matter which one ,they start at about $50-and go up real quick,to know how a true amarone tastethat's the true test,it has to be aged at least 5 years,I Believe,quite distinctive in body and flavor,like I stated before ,could be considered a required taste ....
smiley2.gif
also for about 15/20 a bottle ask for a represso,,any good wine merchant will know what you are referring to....

Several times I have considered buying an Amarone and also a brunello.
Just can't see spending that much money on a single bottle, though, so I'll just have to keep wonder what a real amarone and brunello tastes like.

NETHER COULD I BUT I NEEDED TO KNOW WHAT IT WAS ALL ABOUT THE TASTE PROFILE,IT WAS WORTH IT AT LEAST ONCE...
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back