Red Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
With the red zin I made the other day, the kit came with a oak pack. However the oak pack was more oak dust, should I be looking to get this out when racking or will most of the dust just stay in the wine no matter what I do?

Also I was hoping to give this one more of a oak taste to help bring out the flavors I guess. So when I rack to secondary fermentation I was just going to make sure all the lees went into the secondary to help keep that oak in there. Is that OK or is there a better way?

Scuba

Rack off the sediment leaving most of the lees behind and do not top up at this point. When you clarify the wine it will take care of the rest.

The oak will have given up all it's goodies by racking time so leave them behind, unless directions tell you otherwise. If you want more oak, then add a bit of oak cubes when transferring to secondary.

SCUBAMAN//Applemans right if you want more oak than at it to the secondary,with a red zin heavy toast would finish nicely,and when its time to rack again,add fresh chips if thats to your liking,its a kit give it a little taste.
smiley14.gif

Latest posts

Back