Recipe for 6gal of blackberry wine using 45lbs of berries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image-1759705496.jpg

1.120 SG
12lbs of sugar added (sorry Stressbaby little late getting your reply)...
Should I still wait 11hrs to pitch yeast?

The bubbles are 2/3 bubbles every 10-15 seconds... No yeast added...
???

wait and pitch yeast...
forget the bubbbles...do not pay attention to the bubbles...
use your hydrometer...

If you have bubbles and do you hear a fizz sound? I believe you have a fermentation going, pitch your yeast, with that high of an sg I would not depend on wild yeast fermenting that dry.

I don't hear any fizz...

Bubbling is slower now.

Pitch yeast, or wait...??

julie...have a question, not hijacking this thread..curious
when i have made blackberry, which is now up to 5 different batches i have noticed the little round part of the berry that holds the juice will explode after pectin has been added, releasing the juice...wonder if that released co2 are something with it.. i was looking at said with a microscope .and they just popped ....

Also before pitching yeast, I suggest pulling out the bag and checking your liquid volume. I usually up it to whatever amount I want as an end result with the bag out (un squeezed), which then seems to result in me being able to fill my carboy on first racking without topping up with something else, as pressing and removing the bag seems to compensate for any loss during fermentation...

Edit: responded to page one, no longer relevant, but leaving up for the heck of it. ;)

greyday, that is what I do as well.

Jaysad, how is it going? Did you pitch the EC1118?

Yeast is pitch, SG 1.120.

Fruit bag is now about 2/3 full. I had to remove about 1gal of juice to get all the sugar in (12lbs).
I haven added anymore chemical. So far the only ones add was:
3tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp K-Meta

At this point should I add anything more??

If you have any way to check the pH I would do that. Other than that, no, just stir the must a couple of times a day and watch for fermentation. EC1118 is a strong yeast so if you had any spontaneous fermentation going, this should become the dominant strain. You will need the higher alcohol tolerance of the EC1118 to get this wine dry.

you need to add your yeast nutrient and yeast energizer pretty quick...
blackberries need that yeast nutrient....add 1/2 now and 1/2 in about 2 days. energizer you can add all at once...

Ok all set...

I'll update in a couple of days.

Thanks again for your help!!

Something is wrong!!

I have no bubbles from airlock...
It no doing anything..???
Help!?!?

Be patient. It can take a few days for the yeast to get going. I'll bet by tomorrow you will see it working.

Latest posts

Back