Recipe for 6gal of blackberry wine using 45lbs of berries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysad

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for making 6 gallons of blackberry wine using 45lbs of berries?

45lbs of crushed berries in muslin bag
water to 6 gallons
sugar to 1.095 on hydrometer
pectin enzyme per mfg instructions
campden tablets, 6 crushed
yeast nutrient per mfg instructions
yeast energizer per mfg instrutions

45#'s is a lot for 1 fermenting bucket. I would get a Muslim bag. Use TWO buckets. Then combine when fermenting is finished to one bucket.

check acid and reduce with calcium carbonate. Use a malic eating yeast like 71B. keep water to minimum use only enough to dissolve sugar.

I've started doing the "water to [x] gallons" part like this:

I would bring the water up with the fruit bag to [x-20%] gallons, then treat with Campden/Kmeta; then after 12 hours hit with the pectic and squeeze the berry bag to mix the pectic well; then after another 12-24 hours, remove and drain the bag, THEN bring the water up to [x] gallons. Put the bag back and pitch the yeast.

My experience has been that if you just bring the water up to [x] gallons, by the time you subtract the solids you are short on volume.

there want be 45 lbs of berries for long, just use a big masher.
that bag will shrink, and shrink,and shrink.

stressbaby, you are dead on about the volume.
that was the first thing i learned , how can i make 3 gallons if only add so much water and sugar, and i remove the bag...duhhh.
i now add 75% of the water, sugar will just about make up the rest on volume...i double the fruit..
doing like this..if i am making a 3 gallon batch, i get about 3 gallons and a quart, which i use for topping off.
if i did the way most reciepe say, i would get less then the 3 gallons.

Ok, berries are smashed and in the bag. I had 5 gal of juice with the bag of berries in it. I added 1gal of water and now have 6gal. Added 1/4tsp of K-meta, SG 1.410...? Is this right? Do I add sugar or more water to get SG 1.095?
I'll check it again in 12 hours...

jaysad,
Check your numbers again, I doubt that your SG is 1.410.
Second, I disagree with James, I would NOT add the sugar yet. This is what I would do:

Wait 12 hours after the k-meta
Add pectic enzyme, 5-6 teaspoons. Pectic enzyme will help break down the fruit and release more natural sugars. Squeeze the bag to help mechanically break down the berries some, and to mix the pectic enzyme in with the fruit really well.
Wait at least 12 hours more.
Now do your sugar, acid, and volume adjustments, after the majority of the sugars (and acid) has been released from the fruit. Some will continue to be released over the next couple of days. Luc did a nice study on this (it would take me a while to find the post...)

YMMV

Is this right? Do I add sugar or more water to get SG 1.095?
add sugar to 1.095

you add sugar to get your sg up you add water to get sg down...
the question was not do I, but how do i....

Not from 1.410, you wouldn't.

I think we all know he made an error with 1.410 but without knowing the real SG it is hard to know for certain.

Jaysad,
Take another look at the hydrometer, I'm betting that you aren't reading it correctly. Could it be 1.042 instead of 1.420?

That's 1.042. Looks like you need to add sugar to bring that up some. Looks pretty well juiced to me. I'd shoot for 1.090 to 1.095.

Dang, your right was reading it wrong..!!

Ok, I'm back on track. I'll keep you posted!!
Thanks!!

Two things...first, I would wait 12 hours and take another reading before adding any sugar.
Second, you said it was "bubbling away" without yeast. Do you think you have a spontaneous fermentation?

Latest posts

Back