Received my Chilean Juice today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received my ten different Chilean juice pails today. Pictured below are my yeast starters for each juice. A different yeast strain was used for each variety of grape juice.. Tomorrow I will make some oak additions.

yeast starters.jpg

Runningwolf said:
Received my ten different Chilean juice pails today. Pictured below are my yeast starters for each juice. A different yeast strain was used for each variety of grape juice.. Tomorrow I will make some oak additions.

Ok, now for the details... Which yeast did you choose for which juice?

Nice set up, btw!

L226 for Barbera, Cab Franc & Sangiovese
D21 Malbec, Merlot & Petite Syrah
D80 Cab Sauv & Syrah
D254 Carmenere
RC 212 for Pinot Noir

Goferm was used in all starters. I also added 10g of tanin.

As a follow up to late last night, you can see my fermentation has begun this morning even at a cool temperature of 68°. The ideal temperature should be in the upper 70's. Additionally I've added 30gr of toasted and 30gr of premium oak to each batch. Last night before adding my yeast starter I did add 4 drops of Zymo clear (enzyme) and 10gr of FT Rouge (tannin) to each pail. I planned on adding raisins but they just won't fit in these pails (sorry Joe but they would be "outside" of the pail).

Oak and fermentation.jpg

Last edited:
I see your really upping the reds in your inventory there Dan. Taste buds change or are these really just for guests and for your knowledge of making them? I know like you I started off only liking fruit and white semi sweet wines and then grew into big reds.

Wade the taste buds are changing as I knew they would several years ago when I made just a few reds for a later date in time and guests. The other issue is with such a large inventory I need to burn through my whites and fruits in the next 18 months or so while they are still in prime. Reds there shelf life is much longer but whites and fruits you're really looking at 18-48 months shelf life at the max. I would relly prefer to see all whites/fruits gone by the 28 month mark.

:btWhy are there ads attached to the bottom of my photo's? I know they have shown up in other places but attached to our photo's shows an affiliation, which there is not any.

Last edited:
Juice ta ph brix S02

Cab Sauv 4.5 3.45 211 4ppm

Merlot 4.2 3.34 20.5

Malbec 4.3 3.41 22

Chardonnay 4.2 3.3 20.5

Pinot Noir 4.2 3.4 22

Zinfandel 3.45 3.44 20

numbers ran together when pasting but I think you can pick them apart. I only measured one pail for S02

Last edited:
What type of an adjust are you making on the Pinot Noir? Specifically the TA at 4.2, the P.H is spot on especially if you are taking it through MALO. Sugar is in a good range between 22-24. What method did you use test TA? PH meter and Acid or?

REALLY? You asked me for my numbers and I gave them to you because I thought maybe you have no way of testing. Now you want to know how I test and with what? If you want I can tell you where the moon was at also at the time of testing. Incidently TA and acid are the same thing.

LOL! I was going to ask you what part of Chile did you get them from. My guy that I ordered from in Columbus, called me and told that the grapes would be late, the numbers are not quite right. So they are going to let the hang awhile longer. So are you going to adjust your TA? If so to what range? Cheers

ShawnDTurner said:
What type of an adjust are you making on the Pinot Noir? Specifically the TA at 4.2, the P.H is spot on especially if you are taking it through MALO. Sugar is in a good range between 22-24. What method did you use test TA? PH meter and Acid or?

All of my Chilean juices came in light in acid. My preference for acid is 5.0 for reds and 0.7 for whites. I'll make final adjustments after its cleared by taste.

I test for acid by titration kit. $20 for the kit gives you several tests.

Runningwolf said:
L226 for Barbera, Cab Franc & Sangiovese
D21 Malbec, Merlot & Petite Syrah
D80 Cab Sauv & Syrah
D254 Carmenere
RC 212 for Pinot Noir

Goferm was used in all starters. I also added 10g of tanin.

Thanks RW. I'll have to compare notes, maybe a different yeast next time around!

rasins by any other name

:wywolf man ,the raisins should be in the secondary anyway at least that's the way to get their valued effect,so there's plenty of space to ferment in the normal flow of thinks,that's a lot of wine in the finish,reminds me of my self in my youth,:)adding the raisins in the secondary will improve the character of the wine greatly in the long run,2 years from finish or so the wine will really take on a style of it's own, if it follows the basic profile it will be bold up front with lots of body and texture a wine to remember,truly.:try

:wywolf man ,the raisins should be in the secondary anyway at least that's the way to get their valued effect,so there's plenty of space to ferment in the normal flow of thinks,that's a lot of wine in the finish,reminds me of my self in my youth,:)adding the raisins in the secondary will improve the character of the wine greatly in the long run,2 years from finish or so the wine will really take on a style of it's own, if it follows the basic profile it will be bold up front with lots of body and texture a wine to remember,truly.:try
Mr Bacchus (Joe), I shall take your lead. In a day or two I'll be adding super ferment and right after that my mlf culture while things are hot. Stay tuned.

Latest posts

Back