raspberry yummmmm

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icksicky

Junior
Reaction score
Very excited ( and possibly a bit tipsy ) first batch of raspberries out of my garden to make the most delicious wine ever!!!!! Finally a success... Solidified my addiction one glass at a time :)

Awesome!! I can't wait to experiment with a fruit wine of some sort, glad to hear yours turned out so well (which makes me all that much more eager to get going), congrats!

Where is the fun of one primary at a time?! Do you have a recipe for your raspberry wine?

Haha, can't argue that! No, I haven't chosen a recipe yet. Icksicky, since yours turned out so well... Are you willing to share your secrets?

My boyfriend said the same thing: just do one at a time.

He's going away for three weeks, so I'm looking at some peach wine... :D

Hate to raise this from the dead, but what recipe was used for this? Having trouble finding a basic raspberry recipe. I am assuming 3 lb/gallon should be ok?

Hate to raise this from the dead, but what recipe was used for this? Having trouble finding a basic raspberry recipe. I am assuming 3 lb/gallon should be ok?

Most dont recommend going over 5-6lbs a gallon; and thats what I'd shoot for. I've done more (14lbs/gal) but it requires some extra work, and makes a different wine than most expect.

• Freeze the berries
  • Thaw the berries
  • Mash the berries & add pectic enzyme
  • Wait 12 hours
  • Add berries to a straining bag and squeeze out what juice you can, tying the bag closed
  • Remove the straining bag and measure the amount of liquid and add water to bring to appropriate level for the batch
  • Add straining bag back to the must
  • Adjust SG & ph/TA (1.085 & pH 3.2 or TA 0.65%)
  • Begin Yeast Starter (I recommend 71B-1122 or D-47; K1V-1116 works too)
  • Ferment
  • Finish "per normal" from there

Kind of..

It's more a process than a recipe, per say

But it works with bold or acidic fruits; red or black raspberry, elderberry, blackberry, etc

There's an "all-fruit" method/process as well, without water and instead adjusting the acidity down with calcium carbonate pre-ferment.

Adding water to these fruits makes a nice "table wine" style of wine, while the "all-fruit" method makes more of a "stand-alone" type of wine.. The first you could drink alongside a meal, while the second IS a meal :)

LOL! Our peach from 2012 is almost gone and you are correct IT IS A MEAL! One had to be high on my list to even get a bottle because it is our very favorite wine. The others only had tastes but not a full bottle. Selfish, yes on on our peach!

We are getting ready to make the 2013 peach soon. Peaches are in the freezer!

Thanks for the info. Approx how much pectic enzyme? Also do you find this better dry or back sweetened, although mostly personal preference I'm sure. Is a normal cloth "sock" style mesh ok, are is the finer nylon bag preferable?

Thanks for the info. Approx how much pectic enzyme? Also do you find this better dry or back sweetened, although mostly personal preference I'm sure. Is a normal cloth "sock" style mesh ok, are is the finer nylon bag preferable?

Depends on what you're working with; I just have generic pectic enzyme and usually roll with 1tsp/gal.

It needs some sweetening, although I dont like them to taste sweet... The sweetness helps balance the acidity though.. Something semi-dry to semi-sweet, comes off as balanced..

Anything works.. Nylons, paint straining bags, cheesecloth sheets, etc..

Back