Raspberry wine Starting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docbee

Reaction score
Well finally getting to do a fruit wine from scratch. Here is my recipe. Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

6 gallon batch.
15 lbs frozen raspberries
3 cans Welches White grape/raspberry concentrate
10 lbs sugar
4 tsp pectin enzyme
3 tsp acid blend
1/4 tsp K meta
4 tsp yeast nutrient
H20
Yeast Premier Cuvee

Had to empty raspberry bags into large pot due to every bag was leaking and my primary wasn't available until today. So I added 1/4 tsp K meta and 1/2 cup sugar to raspberries. Then mashed with a potatoe masher and left over night. Then I will plan to pour into large mesh bag into primary. Also boiled 2 gals water with 10 lbs sugar last night so that it could cool overnight.

Today the raspberries will go into mesh bag and primary, the other ingredients (minus the yeast) and volume brought up to 6 gal mark. Then take a hygrometer reading and hoping for about 1.095+/-. When temp is about right will add the yeast and enjoy the aroma
smiley17.gif
Edited by: docbee

How long do you intend to age it???
The batch we have under lock for the past 6 weehs says 2 to 3 months before bottling. Its made from.Vintners Harvest canned raspberries,

Same basic recipe .

Don't know yet. Thinking of carboy aging for 2 - 3 months if I don't need the carboy. Plans are for the "first" tasting mid summer. Thinking of oaking this for a few weeks also.

We oaked our last batch of Raspberry/Red Grape Concentrate wine...it really gave it a nice interesting flavor...kind of Raspberry first flavor, then a hint of vanilla...let me take another sip....Yep...

Think next time I would leave the oak in a bit longer...it seems to fade a bit with time...We just used American Oak chips for about 10 days after the first racking, so the wine was still fermenting a bit...lovely wine....going to make more real soon.

My Recipe:

-24# FROZEN RASPBERRIES = 12 QUARTS OF JUICE
[Steam extracted the juice, so I use more pounds of fruit than if the fruit would go in a straining bag.]

-2 1/2 BOTTLES [500 mil each = 1250 mil total] WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE

-8 1/2# SUGAR DISSOLVED

-4 tsp ACID BLEND

- 3 tsp LIQUID TANNIN

- 6 CAMPDEN TABLETS [crushed]

Water to 6 gallons and S.G. to 1092

NEXT DAY:

-4 tsp PEPTIC ENZYME

1 hour later

-6 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT

-3 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER

-1 PKT. LALVIN EC-1118 YEAST [I also put in 1 PKT RC-212] Only because I had it and wanted to be sure that it took off fast]

-OAKED AT FIRST RACKING FOR 10 DAYS.

-USED SUPER-KLEER KC

-3 tsp POTASSIUM SORBATE AND 1 tsp ASCORBIC ACID AT BOTTLING...

Sometimes I worry about my home concoctions so I use Yeast Nutrient and Energizer because of lack of nutrients in fruits....
I almost always use 2 pkt of yeast on a 6 gallon batch...overkill...? Maybe, but it works eveytime...don't often mix yeasts, but did this time as it was my first wine with the RC 212 and was nervous about using it...

Raspberry is one of our favorite wine...plus they grow well here....I sure hope they survive this winter cold spell....time will tell.

Edited by: Northern Winos

Just an update now that I finally could download the image resizer program
smiley36.gif

After mixing everything up the SG was 1.104 which I thought was too high, but then decided that once the fruit was taken out I would add some water to bring the volume back up to 6 gal. The colour was a beautiful candy apple red and smelled marvelous.

20070226_213858_DSCF2112_Medium.JPG

I stirred and push the fruit bag down at least once every day for five days. The SG was less than 1.030 so I removed the fruit and topped up the primary to 6 gals. In the next few days the SG got to 1.008 so I moved to the carboy and added 2 oz french medium oak. The only set back was when I was squeezing the bag with the fruit it tore
smiley7.gif
, but I was going to make sure that I got all the goodness out.

20070226_213942_DSCF2175_Medium.JPG

Looking very good there Doc, Looks like you have a good bit of wine going there.

Thanks. The red wine is the Estate Pinot Noir. The back left is Estate Pinot Grigio and the back right is Symphony. In the middle is a peach mead with the gal jug what was left over from racking out of primary. Wanted to know how much was left after racking in terms of liquid(mead). I degassed this with my vacuum pump and almost got 1/2 gal recovered for topping off the carboy. This had alot of floating fruit to start with, so it was a little more difficult to rack from primary. I even used the fruit bag in the primary and still had quite a bit of fruit there.

Docbee,

Red Raspberry is one of my favorite fruit wines. The nose of the wine is truly something to enjoy all it's own! I have 3 gallons I made from a mix of canned Oregon fruit and concentrate that I added a half spiral of medium oak to. I tried it a few days ago and although the flavor was intensive raspberry, there were hints of the oak that lingered around. I have decided that I will have to back sweeten it a bit for it to agree with my taste.

I hope your's turns out great!

I agree with pk, you may want to sweeten a little. I would make the Raspberry with a lower alcohol content-probably shoot for about 1.080 SG. The raspberry tends to be a little harsh if it has too high of alcohol content. If you find it that way when you are done, and it has a bite, with too much flavor, I would sweeten a little and taste again-***Be sure to stabilize first**** As a last resort, you could cut it a little with a dash of water.

Back