RASPBERRY/CABERNET SAUVIGNON

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
I started another raspberry wine today...it went into the primary bucket like this...

2 cans Alexanders Cabernet Sauvignon
1 500 mil bottle of winExpert Red Grape Concentrate
5# sugar
Water to 4 1/2 gallons...then added ...
6 quarts steam extracted Raspberry juice
The usual 'suspects' [additives]
S.G. 1.085

I didn't read their instructions on the can...I added 6 campden tablets...THEN read the can...they had sulfites added....gulp!!!

Tomorrow I will add, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient and energizer and Lalvin RC 212 yeast.

Hope I didn't add too much sulfite...Time will tell.

*Can't upload photos to my photo bucket account...nor can I send any photos in my Email...think it's time for a new computer.

Very interesting recipe NW. Have you made this one before? If so, how was it. I am smacking my lips right now, trying to taste a Cab/Rasberry mentally.

Didnt read the instructions!
smiley3.gif
Just stir the heck out of it before adding yeast.

You could give it an extra 12 hrs. or so and stir it two or three times before adding the yeast....that will help a lot...GOOD LUCK

I made a Raspberry/Merlot with the same product but only used one can.....and no bottle of grape concentrate....it didn't have much flavor, other than the raspberry...not as robust as using 2 bottles of WinEpert...I also put campden tablets in that batch and it started right up.

Their instructions never mentioned adding any campden tablets..but under the name Cabernet Sauvignon it said 'Contains Sulfites'...so judging by the quality of their product there probably isn't much sulfite in the canseither.

I bought these cans to replace the WinExpert product when I had a problem with that fermenting in the bottles...now I have to use up these cans...Soon I will try a Burgundy/Strawberry and another Raspberry/Merlot. Next batches will be with 2 cans...and a bottle or two of WinExpert Concnentrate...trying for more flavor and body...and hopefully a good wine...
smiley4.gif

Did get the photo to finally UpLoad...

cabraspSmall-1.jpg
Edited by: Northern Winos

After 12 hours from pitching the yeast...It is alive and well...Fermenting like crazy.....
smiley4.gif

Guess the only Sulfites in that product is enough to protect the 46oz can...

Is that oak in there? I kept going back to your recipe trying to see if you mentioned the rhubarb that I saw floating in there! It made my mouth water!

No, not rhubarb.....it is toasted oak...and...coffee beans....and...peppercorns...guess I didn't mention that I added that too.

Funny, NW, those floating coffee beans look just like all the beans I am finding scattered around the orchard and vineyard lately
smiley36.gif
It really does look quite tasty. I hope it turns out great for you.

Looks good NW, just dont ever use Applemans beans.
smiley11.gif
No matter how tasty he says they look
smiley36.gif
Have you ever tried using a dry malt extract? Just wondering if it would give the body you are looking for to the wine.Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

OK there JW. You know I was saying HER coffee beans and oakfloating look good. I ain't about to try any of those beans out in my fields! Those danged critters are mocking me! Hunting season ended, we got snow and they moved in by the herds! Season ended this weekend and the next day there were 11 beds within 50 feet of the apples! They have been rooting and scratching looking for feed ever since!

JWMINNESOTA said:
Looks good NW, just dont ever use Applemans beans.
smiley11.gif
No matter how tasty he says they look
smiley36.gif
Have you ever tried using a dry malt extract? Just wondering if it would give the body you are looking for to the wine.

Appleman....have you ever made apple-grapevine...'bean' wine???? I have some 'bunny-berries' I can add to the mix....
smiley4.gif

Dried malt extract sure make wort smell good...my mouth is watering....Slobbering as Waldo would say.

Going to be a long winter....someone hasto try this ...we have to amuse each other...
smiley4.gif

24 hours after pitching the yeast...I look in the primary bucket and there was a bubble that must have been 8 inches across....I missed it with the camera.

bubblesSmall.jpg

"YEEE-HAW" ...no matter how often we start a batch of wine I always get excited when it's starts fermenting...

Our windows are all closed as it is now -10*F [except in the bedroom, where thewindow is stuck open]...We have plenty of fresh air outside...but only fermentation air inside this house........Are the gasses from this wine going to affect our brains????

Northern Winos said:
Our windows are all closed as it is now -10*F [except in the bedroom, where thewindow is stuck open]...We have plenty of fresh air outside...but only fermentation air inside this house........Are the gasses from this wine going to affect our brains????

Not sure about the gases, but the product of the gas production will if you make it right. Put it in the bottle, age it and pour it in a glass and then it will most certainly affect your brain
smiley4.gif

Racked the Cabernet Sauvignon/Raspberry wine in to the carboy yesterday...It was down to S.G. .997 already....I did sneak a wee taste...Think it is going to be really good...time will tell. It had plenty of flavor...the raspberry was not the dominate flavor in this one.

cabraspSmall-2.jpg

Back