Raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

Reaction score
I started my Amarone with raisins yesterday and added the raisins today. It started me down a paththat's usually dangerous for me-I started thinking "What if..."

I see the Amarone with raisins is popular, but has anyone toyed with adding raisins to any of the other kits? A merlot perhaps?

Would you end up with an enhanced merlot? Or would you simply waste a good merlot?

What would need to be done to the raisins before adding them? Rinsed with santitizer?

If you could find Merlot raisins, you would be able to add some flavor to the kit.....But plain raisins you get from a store will give you a different flavor....The change of flavor may not be what you looking for or you may come up with a very nice wine....
smiley24.gif
Edited by: Bert

I would be very weary especially if this is a decent size kit cause it will most likely change the taste for the worse. If you are like me then buy the bigger kits with the grape skins such as RJS or Cellar Craft or even A WE. I have been assured that the Mosti Kits make up for the extra body by being a all juice kit so thats my $.02. I do like the RJS 16 and 18 liter kits and get them locally at a real good price but if I didnt i would be buying lots of MM kits from George.

IF RAISINS WERE NOT INCLUDED WITH THE KIT TO START WITH THAN THE MANUFACTURE DOESN'T,T EXPECT THERE PRODUCT TO BE ENHANCED WITH IT ,IT COULD ALSO CHANGE THE CHEMICAL BALANCE OF THE FINISHED PRODUCT,IF YOU WHERE TALKING ABOUT FRESH JUICE THAN THERES ALWAYS THE NEED TO CREATE IF YOU SO DESIRE THAT,S THE BEAUTY OF THIS CRAFT,CREATING FLAVORS OUT OF FERMENT-ABLES.IN MY OPINION/

I add raisins to my "homemade" wine (Vintners Harvest Black Currant, etc). I'd have no problem VOIDING THE WARRENTY on the 10l or smaller kits and adding raisins. On the bigger kits, especially one with a grape pack, I wouldn't add them. Just me.

FYI, the Cellar Classic Winery Series Merlot I made came with 2.5kg's of wine skins which resembled jam. Seemed like a large amount of solids and the reviews on the winery series kits have been very good.

Based on that experience and after reading numerous posts on the benefits of raisins in side by side taste tests we have been adding 1-2lbs of whole sunmaid raisins(without sorbate) to every red kit. It is a bit messy to scoop them out but the raisins add body and the consensus was they are an easy way improve a wine kit especially with the cheaper kits. With the raisins added we mix the pail daily for the first week to break up the top crust of floating raisins. It will foam up when using a figure 8 stirring motion to thoroughly mix up all the goodness at the bottom of the pail. This seems to help degassing as wow it foams up almost over the pail when fermentation gets going after stirring. Also helps ensure a complete mixing of ingredients and fermentation.

Initially was concerned the raisins would add a raisin taste to the wine kits but that has not happened. The kits are good without adding raisins so it is my personal preference to add raisins hoping for some improvement.

I like the grape skin kits but just remember, those are not any raisins just thrown in, they are grape skins of the correct varietal or 1 very close. There are wine grapes and then there are grapes just for eating and trying to make a wine out of the incorrect grapes will render a weak and thin wine with the wrong acidity and very little tannin and make the wine susceptible to bacteria. You may be risking a very good wine by adding to adding raisins but may improve a very cheap kit so play that by ear.

I like to experiment with fruit wines but not $120 or more kits! too risky for me. I wouldnt mind at all doctoring up a 7.5 or 10 liter kit though.
Edited by: wade

I find more and more I prefer to tweak even the kits. As long as the money involved doesn't bother you, go for it! Kits are fine, but can get boring in my opinion. Like paint by number, you expect it to be good if you follow the directions, just like all the others that did that particular kit...but a small tweak here or there, and you truly made it your own, with good results hopefully. I guess thats what makes it a hobby for me, do what I want to with them when I do a kit. But I would recommend someone just starting to make a few first per instructions, and learn all you can before doing this. Risk = Learning.

YES, both you andwade are correct there really isn,t a wrong answer is their?,its a hobby and like you stated it,s your do what you want to do,keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back