Raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffster

Junior
Reaction score
Hey winemakers.
Was wondering. I have a couple of Shiraz kits (Heron Bay, 6gal) and will make one as directions say but, the other kit, I was considering adding raisins to the kit when I make it. I've read some old wine recipes that call for raisins. Sounded interesting.
What do you think? And how should I go about it? I thought about adding a cup or so to the primary. And how will it affect the taste?
Any info and feedbackis appreciated.

Are these the lower end Heron Bay kits, if they are 15 liter or bigger I definitely would not mess with them. If they are lower end kits it might benefit from this but just so you know, the kits that usually come with raisins are a special varietal so you most likely will not get the same effect but will give it more body.

Wade - yes it is the lower end (4 week) kit. Got 'em on sale for 20% off and I'm new to winemaking, so... they were a good deal and I figured I could play a bit.

Ive never tried 1 of those kits but assuming its like all the other smaller red kits, it will need the extra body to help it.

I would think that in the primary it would add sweetness which woud tranlate into alcholo,if you made a tea out of the raisen and added it to the secondary,then you would be crafting a flavorfull product and if you need to back sweeten to taste ,if you wanted ,the rasins would inpart a deep richness to the wine,back sweeten you would do,and finish.
smiley2.gif
add a splash of brandy and let set excellent porto
smiley16.gif
port,a hand full of oak would also be nice
smiley20.gif
Edited by: joeswine

Latest posts

Back