racking to secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxplod

Needs intervention!
Reaction score
after i have racked to the secondary jug i put a airlock on and -nothing is happening? no bubbles could i have left it too long in primary? around 3 weeks. can i bottle it now or do i need to age it fifst?

What are you making?
What was you beginning and ending sg?
Is it clear?
Will you be sweetening it? You may need to stabilze it.
This is hasn't began aging yet, what does it taste like?

xxplod, the bottom line is yes it does need to age and probably racked a few times.

sorry i did not give enough info- most of my first batches are fruit juice wines, and i started them before i had a hydrometer sooo lol yes they are clear and tastes ok a bit strong and some are sweet so ill not need to backsweetn i have sence got the hydrometer so now i can start doing it right or at least try lol thanks ill keep on racking and try and let it age:sl --thats the tuff part for me.

i have sence got the hydrometer so now i can start doing it right or at least try lol thanks ill keep on racking and try and let it age:sl --thats the tuff part for me.

Just remember Tom's platinum rule, the 3 P's...

Patience
Patience
and ahh I forget the third one...:se

I would leave it in the secondary for a while longer. Wine is a liquid that has a capacity to hold dissolved carbon dioxide, these are the bubbles that rise and escape through the airlock. As the yeast eats, it farts CO2 which goes into solution. When the solution reaches its capacity to hold CO2, the gas is forced out to form bubbles which rise. When you agitate the wine through racking, you often "break loose" the CO2 in the process (just like shaking up a bottle of soda). The wine now has "empty" capacity to hold freshly created CO2. Your wine is fermenting much slower in the last stages, so it'll take a while for the yeast to fill up this "new capacity" and start bubbling again.

Back