Racking after stabilization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maize

Reaction score
I am usually not one to rush steps with wine kits and only worry about the first move out of the secondary. Most other steps take me 3-4 weeks. Recently I have racked some kits off the stabilized sediment at 14 - 17 days. I don't know if it is the kits or the timing, but I seem to leave more "sludge" behind when I do this. My thought after seeing this a couple of times is that maybe by waiting an extra week or two (or more) the sediment gets more compacted and I am able to get more wine out before I hit this layer with the siphon.
Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

By the way, I usually pour the sludge into sterilized wine bottles and let them settle out over the next 24 hours to get about 25% clear wine back in this process.

That is exactly what is happening. The lees settle down more when left for a longer time, therefore you can get more wine out at racking. Just don't leave on the lees excessively long or itMAY impart off flavors.

I do this routinely and you are correct, the lees compact more with a little more time.

Latest posts

Back