questions about making pear wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamiesavoie

Junior
Reaction score
With my pears falling, it’s that time of the year for making pear wine again :D

I’ve only been making wine for 3 years, about 3-4 batches of misc wines and 2 from my pears. The first year I’ve made it, I did the Pear recipe bellow. It was okay but more like a cooler kinda, it did not have much pear flavour.

Last year, I did the same recipe but instead of infusing a must of pears, I juiced some pears and did about half and half of pear juice/water. Results were way better.

Now this year I’ve made a shedder and a press and now I’m about 16 5-gallons full of pears and tomorrow I will juice them. Now I can have pretty much all the pear juice that I want and even more. I was wondering if I should be making it but with only 100% pear juice with no water added? Also, in my little Winmaker’s recipe handbook, I have a recipe for making Perry (recipe bellow). I think I would have enough juice to make 2 6-gallons recipe. My question for the Perry, can I bottle them in regular wine bottles with regular cork?

If you have a good pear wine recipe that you think that would be better than mine, please feel free to share! Also, if you want to suggest or recommend me anything go ahead; I’m still pretty much new at this and I’m still learning this great hobby :D

Cheers,
Jamie

Pear
4lbs Pears
6 pts Water
4c Sugar
2 ½ tsp Acid Blend
½ tsp Pectic Enzyme
1tsp Nutriant
1 Campden Tablet
1pkg Wine Yeast
When ferment (3-5 days)reach 1.040 transfer into secondary. When ferment reach 1.000 (3 weeks) rack. Rack again if necessary after 3 month

Perry
1gal Juice
Sugar to sg 1.060
½ tsp Pectic Ensyme
¾ Energizer
1 Campden Tablet
1 pkg Camp Yeast
Same thing as above but when ferment is complete, dissolve 1/4c of sugar per gallon. Bottle in champagne or returnable pop bottles. Apply crown caps. Age for 3 months.

Save some of your juice. Simmer it down to half volume. After fermenting, add your k-meta and sorbate. Wait a couple of days and add some of the simmered juice as your flavor pack. It will bump up the pear taste. Let it all sit and clear like normal, add sugar to taste. Arne.

definitely only use the juice. use only tartaric acid to adjust TA. citric and malic acid found in acid blend not required. also use bentonite in fermentation juice to aid in clearing the wine after fermentation.
use hydrometer to monitor brix and sugar addition. also use a acid test kit to determine acid addition.

thanks for the tip Arne!
How much simmered juice should I had?

Simmer a batch down, add some of it, taste. Add more if needed. Mite try it with just a glass, then you can figure out how much you have to have to work the whole batch. Good luck with it, Arne.

My question for the Perry, can I bottle them in regular wine bottles with regular cork?

Perry
1gal Juice
Sugar to sg 1.060
½ tsp Pectic Ensyme
¾ Energizer
1 Campden Tablet
1 pkg Camp Yeast
Same thing as above but when ferment is complete, dissolve 1/4c of sugar per gallon. Bottle in champagne or returnable pop bottles. Apply crown caps. Age for 3 months.

Your recipe involves creating carbonation in the wine with the addition of 1/4 C sugar. If I prime mead or cider I add 1 oz per gallon which is less than 1/4 C and even then I would not risk using regular corks. I am unsure the pressure that will build up with the amount of CO2 that will be produced with that amount of sugar. I would go for crown caps or champagne bottles with caps and cages.
You might want to try a Red Star yeast such as Premier Cuvee. I have never made perry before but it seems to favor apple cider in a very nice way.

Latest posts

Back