Pushing the in

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kivanc

Reaction score
Just wondering if I push the airlock attached rubber in a bit to help the carbon dioxide get out through the airlock, because the bubbling really slowed down.

Carbon dioxide is more soluble as the temperature drops. The easiest way to get it out is to let the carboy warm up.

My operating procedure is to intentionally keep CO2in the carboy till the week where the wine is scheduled to be bottled. CO2 is a tool to flush oxygen out of wine as with a check valve and vacuum pump.
Specific to kits. They are finished quickly, ,,, settling solids is slowed by outgassing so techniques are done to finish the fermentation (drop gravity below 1.000) and remove CO2.

So is it better not to touch the rubber until the day I’ll take the sg reading? My must is on secondary... I will take the reading on 22th of July. I just forgot carbon dioxide is the protection of the fermenting must 😐

Last edited:
So is it better not to touch the rubber until the day I’ll take the sg reading? My must is on secondary... I will take the reading on 22th of July. I just forgot carbon dioxide is the protection of the fermenting must 😐
* I avoid unnecessary opening of a carboy. For my level of sloppy technique air exposure seems to do the most damage. ,,, I will take a gravity reading on secondary when I am ready to rack, ie it ought to be pulled off gross lees, ,,, not at any specific calendar date. Likewise it might be racked and sit on fine lees half a year to nine months and I will rack when the wine looks pretty clear. This would be followed by vacuum degassing, bench trials for sweetening, etc.
* wine is forgiving, especially red grape which has natural anti oxidants. Wines which are consumed young will be more forgiving since acetaldehyde (burn in the back of the throat swallowing) takes time to react.

After 10 days the reading still reads 1.040 sg. The starting sg was 1.120 (10.50% ABV) I racked and pulled off the gross lees. Thanks so much...🙂

Attachments

• 0C63A695-3D89-43C8-9F19-7E5F24BC0ED8.jpeg
    0C63A695-3D89-43C8-9F19-7E5F24BC0ED8.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
Just wondering if I push the airlock attached rubber in a bit to help the carbon dioxide get out through the airlock, because the bubbling really slowed down.
Pushing on the stopper will have almost no effect, except to possibly push it inside the carboy, which will not be fun.

Bubbles in the airlock is a symptom. For the most part it means nothing, other than your wine is fermenting or degassing, and it doesn't indicate which. Since your wine is not done fermenting, your hydrometer tells you that fermentation is happening, or not.

After 10 days the reading still reads 1.040 sg. The starting sg was 1.120 (10.50% ABV) I racked and pulled off the gross lees. Thanks so much...🙂
What kind of wine are you making, and what yeast did you use? Did you add yeast nutrient? What is the temperature of the room?

An OG of 1.120 is potentially 15.7% ABV (according to the table I referenced). If you used a low potency yeast, even though the current AVB is ~10.5%, the yeast may be overwhelmed.

I’ve made wine from bing cherry and used 15% tolerant wine yeast. The room temperature is 26 over here. I didn’t add yeast nutrient. I just added yeast starter after an hour.

I’ve made wine from bing cherry and used 15% tolerant wine yeast. The room temperature is 26 over here. I didn’t add yeast nutrient. I just added yeast starter after an hour.
26 C is not the problem. The yeast and lack of nutrient may be.

Can you get EC-1118? Make an overnight starter with the water at 32-35 C (it will cool overnight), the yeast, 1/2 tsp nutrient, and 1 tsp sugar.

Add half the amount of nutrient the package indicates (e.g., if it says 1 tsp/gallon, add 1/2 tsp) to the wine, stirring well. The following morning swirl the starter to mix and carefully pour down the inside of the fermenter so it spreads as little as possible (Yeast grows better in a larger colony). Don't stir for 24 hours.

Thank you for your explanatory reply; it would be very helpful on my next wine. I used Vinoferm: Bioferm Rouge 15% tolerant wine yeast. It’s the first time I tried this yeast. I will try to get EC-1118 in Turkey.

Last edited:
How was the yeast stored before you bought it? Are you certain that the yeast was kept under good conditions and not, for example, exposed to too high an abient temperature. That might damage many of the cells even if it did not destroy them all, so your colony might begin as one that was very small and one that was hobbled ...

They sent me in a middle sized box amongst with hydrometer, test tube and airlock in a neat placement. Then I kept the yeast in the refrigerator for a few weeks. Now I remember when I added the yeast starter into the must, almost 1 liter of the must foamed out of the primary. I guess I lost a bunch of yeast colony this way😔

Last edited:
Back