Purchasing Spring Grapes - Denver, CO

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnyDarko19

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I live in Denver, CO and am trying to find a source for grapes (from Chile, Argentina, etc.) to be shipped here this Spring.

So far, I've contacted M&M to see what pricing would be. However, due to the smaller quantities I'm interested in ordering, they only offer 6 gallon buckets of must to be shipped outside of New England. On top of that, the total cost of 1 bucket (which includes shipping) would be ~$180 each. That's a little pricey for my taste. Especially since shipping alone is expected to be $80.

My question is does anyone have other distributors they would recommend? Or other sources of grapes this Spring? I'd prefer fresh grapes, however I know that may not be feasible based on my location. I'm fine with buckets of must if that's the only option, but I'd like to find a more affordable option if at all possible.

Another option would be to find and join a wine making club here that I could work with in ordering bulk grapes, but I have had no success locating such a group. Does anyone know of one?

Any help with this is much appreciated!

You might try Colavita wine grapes - https://www.cawinegrapes.com/

They may have a distributor in your area. With small quantities shipping will always be a huge amount. It is unfortunate, but the way it works. Also, when purchasing Chilean grapes, remember grapes come in 18 lb lugs, not 36 lb lugs.

They may have a distributor in your area. With small quantities shipping will always be a huge amount. It is unfortunate, but the way it works. Also, when purchasing Chilean grapes, remember grapes come in 18 lb lugs, not 36 lb lugs.

I checked their website and it turns out they do have a local distributor not far from here. However, from their website, it looks like they only source California grapes in the Fall or am I mistaken? Also, the local distributor is a winery that also only produces wine from California grapes. Unfortunately, it looks like that may be a dead end. But, thanks for the tip! Looks like I have another option for grapes come Fall!

I'm not in your area but we get Chilean and S. African grapes. As much as I would like a Malbec from Argentina I was never able to fine a source. If you are able to find a source for S. African I strongly recommend Stellenbasch Cab Sauv.

Thanks for the tip! If I'm able to find a source for South African grapes, I'll keep that recommendation in mind!

You mentioned that you have a source for Chilean and South African grapes. Do you also use M&M or do you use a different distributor? If they are closer to Colorado than M&M, it may reduce my shipping costs.

Don’t think they do Chileans, or any grapes in Spring....

Thanks for the tip! If I'm able to find a source for South African grapes, I'll keep that recommendation in mind!

You mentioned that you have a source for Chilean and South African grapes. Do you also use M&M or do you use a different distributor? If they are closer to Colorado than M&M, it may reduce my shipping costs.

No, I'm in Virginia but I have to drive to New Jersey to get the spring grapes. Spring grapes are hard to find.

No, I'm in Virginia but I have to drive to New Jersey to get the spring grapes. Spring grapes are hard to find.

Who are you getting grapes from in the Spring in NJ, Gino Pinto? I'm thinking about trying wine from grapes.

Thanks!

Yes, they are the closest place for me. Almost a 4 hour drive each way.

Is that a definite? That you’ll be heading up Pintos this spring? Hopefully! Perfect opportunity for the 50L exchange. And of course will bring some bottles

After skipping all of 2019 I am chomping at the bit to get back in it. Is it too early to start a spring harvest thread? Lol.

Yes, they are the closest place for me. Almost a 4 hour drive each way.

You probably already know but in the fall, there's S&S Winegrapes in Jessup, MD.

Last year Kegel's Produce in Lancaster did wine grapes and juice in the spring. I'm hearing they'll be doing it again.

I wish Harford Winery would start up again.. but I have a feeling they never will again, their wine tasting room is pretty packed these days..

Is that a definite? That you’ll be heading up Pintos this spring? Hopefully! Perfect opportunity for the 50L exchange. And of course will bring some bottles

After skipping all of 2019 I am chomping at the bit to get back in it. Is it too early to start a spring harvest thread? Lol.

I think the 13 earlier posts will disagree with you. It's never too early to make plans for the upcoming season.

I'm still planning on going to Hungary around that time and spring is hard to predict when the grapes will come in. I may have to ask you to pick mine up, crush and start the fermentation. Then bring the barrel and pick up the wine. Stellenbosch Cab is a staple for me and the Chilean Pinot Noir is coming along nicely as well.

You probably already know but in the fall, there's S&S Winegrapes in Jessup, MD.

Last year Kegel's Produce in Lancaster did wine grapes and juice in the spring. I'm hearing they'll be doing it again.

I wish Harford Winery would start up again.. but I have a feeling they never will again, their wine tasting room is pretty packed these days..

I got grapes from S&S in the fall. I actually got grapes from 5 different sources. Personally I'm glad Harford quit selling grape. It made me do a lot of leg work but I would never have my new sources otherwise.

I think the 13 earlier posts will disagree with you. It's never too early to make plans for the upcoming season.

I'm still planning on going to Hungary around that time and spring is hard to predict when the grapes will come in. I may have to ask you to pick mine up, crush and start the fermentation. Then bring the barrel and pick up the wine. Stellenbosch Cab is a staple for me and the Chilean Pinot Noir is coming along nicely as well.

Sounds like an amazing plan!

And I’m close enough where even if (when) SA grapes come in at different times than Chilean to make separate pickups easily. I still don’t know what I’m making yet. Mulling over available options. Perhaps a Chilean Bordeaux. Or meritage. Or whatever it would be called lol (Hence the thread idea)

2019’s Chilean menu Adjustments.JPG

I don't get it..especially for whites. Why are juice prices so much lower than grapes? You can't get 6 gallons of juice from a couple lugs of grapes.

Sounds like an amazing plan!

And I’m close enough where even if (when) SA grapes come in at different times than Chilean to make separate pickups easily. I still don’t know what I’m making yet. Mulling over available options. Perhaps a Chilean Bordeaux. Or meritage. Or whatever it would be called lol (Hence the thread idea)

2019’s Chilean menu View attachment 58464

You may have accepted my offer too soon. I haven't told you my proceedure yet. LOL!

I don't get it..especially for whites. Why are juice prices so much lower than grapes? You can't get 6 gallons of juice from a couple lugs of grapes.

This has been discussed so many time, I don't get it either. Even with the most efficient extraction methods the juice to grape ratio is not even close.

@DonnyDarko19 did you ever find a local source for Chilean grapes or juice? I also live in Denver and I’ve been wanting to make a Chilean Pinot.

Latest posts

Back