primary fermentation temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose

Reaction score
Is 77 degrees on the primary too high? We have the top snapped on, we did not put the airlock in. It is a Barolo. Thanks

That is a bit on the warm side, but not really too high. At that warmer temp, it will ferment faster. If you just snap the lid on, place some type of thin cloth over the hole to keep bugs, dust out and it will be fine for the first few days in the primary.

Thanks appleman, started out this morning at about 72. Went and picked up the adhesive thermometer this afternoon and has been reading a steady 77. Will keep a close watch.

Is the room temperature 77 or is the temp of the must 77? If there is an active fermentation rolling you will see temps of the wine higher than the ambient temps. That is on the warm side though. My last batch was in a 65 degree room and the temp sticker on the bucket read 74 degrees.

The temperature of the must is at 77 and the room temp is around 70. That is with the temp sticker on the bucket. This being our first kit, I'm a little nervous about what is going on, want to do it right. The instructions say to keep it between 65-75 degrees.

wrap a wet towel around it in the tub that might work Edited by: kaluba

Moose you could move it near a door on the exterior wall or any other place that may be a little cooler. 77 is nothing to worry about. Room temperature of 77 would give a must temp of close to 85 which could be a bit too high, but you are alright.

It's starting to sound like I may be able to get some sleep tonite instead of staying up to watch the temp of the must. Thanks everyone!

I'll try and make sure it doesn't go any higher. I took your suggestion Wade and purchased a couple of those thermometers. Work good and simple to use.

I hated pulling out the thermometer all the time or having to open the primary and especially the carboy to check the temp.

I haven't opened the primary since it was covered yesterday morning. Is that something a person should do? I was just going to leave it closed until the 5th day or should we be checking the SG more often?

Its not something you have to do, but I'm sure by sometime tomorrow curiousity will get the best of you and you'll take a peak. I find myself taking a look one or twice a day for a quick second.

You're probably right, maybe after we get home from work tomorrow. I'm hoping the temp will be down by then also.

It wont hurt to get some oxygen in there. If there is any fruit in there then you should be pushing the fruit down twice a day, if not you dont have to do anything but check the SG periodically.

Sounds good, the must will be checked tomorrow and the SG to see where we stand.

Got home from work this afternoon. Cleaned the hydrometer and took the cover off our fermenter to check the must. Temp has been holding around 75. When we started this on Saturday morning the SG was 1.076. Having checked it today, the SG is at 1.036. Left the cover loose and covered with a cloth. Looks to be going in the right direction. Tomorrow will be the 3rd day and the instructions say between 5-7 days to reach the right SG.

Dont go by days as that is pretty generic. Follow the directions for SG as that is more specific. The kit manufactures include a time schedule just to let new wine makers have a basic idea of how long or quick these things happen.

Thanks for the advice Wade. I will start to check it daily then to make sure we don't let it get to low.

You dont have to be exact, just close. Some kit manufacturers have you complete fermentation in primary bucket while others have you rack around 1.020. Each company has different reasons for such. RJ Spagnols has you complete in bucket which allows your wine to degas much better and you rack off the sediment as they use a different fining agent which does not need all the lees to be stirred in as other clearing agents do. Other kit manufacturers have you rack earlier including all the sediment. what this does is give you a better blanket of CO2 to protect your wine from O2 and that their fining agents require the sediment as it needs to attach itself to the sediment(lees) to work properly. Both of these instructions work well. All wines need to be thoroughly degassed at a temp of around 73* as cooler temps will make the wine hold the gas more and not properly degas. If your wine is not properly degassed it will not properly clear up thus leaving a haze.

Back