primary fermentation temp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The WE kit that we are making calls for us to rack it into a carboy when the SG reaches 1.010 or less. We will rack the wine as close as possible to the 1.010 SG reading then. Also states to leave most of the sediment behind. I'm looking forward to doing that already. We practiced with our auto siphon when we measured out exactly 23 litres.

It is now day 4 and a half. The temp has been running a steady 73 degrees. Just checked the SG and it is at 1.002. Checked it 3 times. Even though the instructions say 5-7 days to drop below 1.010. So, should we rack this into a carboy now or wait until the 5th day?

Is the SG what you typed pr it actually 1.020. Follow the instructions, if it is at the 1.002 like you typed then rack it now, if it is at 1.020 and the instruction say 1.010 then wait till its there.

Thanks for the answer Wade, I checked and double checked and it read 1.002. We are sanitizing everything now to rack the must. Do we have to worry about keeping the temperature in a certain range like we did with the primary firmentation?

Yes, especially now as if it got to cold it would stop fermenting early and you will have a stuck fermentation. In other words, it would finish sweet and you dont want that with a red wine. That really should have been racked the other day but it will be fine. You should keep the temps up until it has been stabilized with the sorbate and the sulfite and has been degassed and then cleared nicely. At that point you can rack off lees and store at cooler temps or bottle.

Thanks Wade, The temp is 72 right now and we have it wrapped in a jacket. Do you think we can put the belt on if it starts to cool? Does it need to stay dark, or will daylight affect it? And does it need to stay warm the entire 10 days until the next step? Thanks again.

It should stay warm until ready to bulk age and daylight is no good, keep it wrapped as that will help it stay warm and you can add the brew belt if it starts to cool down.

I took some pictures to post but can't get them to upload. I'll try tomorrow after work. We will keep it warm and wrapped up. It is bubbling about every 5 seconds right now.Thanks for the help this evening, Gene and Marcia

The pics must be smaller than 150 kb's total and can not have any commas, apostrophes, or hyphens or anything of the sort. Just name them simply wine 1, wine 2. Its also hrd to post many pics at one time. You may have to shrink the size of the photos with a picture resizer. Here is a link to help.
Upload Picture Instructions

Everyone seems to be on the same page when it comes to not following the number of days, but the SG readings. Also, everyone has stated that most of the time you could go a few extra days on certain steps and it would be okay. I have three batches going, all in different stages right now, and with all three, it seems that the SG readings are days ahead of schedule. Everything appears to be fine with the progress and the temps, but is this okay that the SG is dropping ahead of what the kit suggests?

Example: Day 11 on a MM Pinot Grigio Kit the SG is already at 0.995.

Here we are at day 4 1/2 in the secondary fermentation. Decided to check the SG to see where it was in relation to the 10 days the instruction has written in it. We got a SG reading of .992 already. Instructions say don't check it for 10 days. We triple checked the reading and came up with the same each time. Will check it tomorrow to see if it still at the same SG. Doesn't this seem quick? Been keeping the carboy a consistent 70* to 72*. By the way, the instructions say to have a SG of .996 or less after 10 days.

Some fermentations are faster then others and this is why we stress to go by SG rather than # of days as that can vary too much.

Thanks again Wade. You and everyone else have been invaluable to us Newbie wine making people. We will check it tomorrow and if it remains the same, we will be moving on to the next step.

I don't know what it is about winemakers but they just love to share their knowledge! It's great!

Wade, that was actually the question I meant to ask on the previous page. If the SG is days ahead of where it should be, do you proceed to the next step, or give it the extra days?

The only time that it really matters is getting it from primary bucket to carboy as you want some fermentation gases to protect the wine in the carboy. after that time is on your side. But if you have a stable SG in the range that it should be then you may proceed to the next step. Just make sure its stable by checking the SG a few days in a row.

We just finished mixing, adding the packets,mixing and topping off with a Merlot. Then we looked at the carboy and there seems to be 2 inches of sediment on the bottom. Is this a problem? Thanks.

That 2 inches is probably about 3/8 of an inch magnified by the curvature of the carboy

So that is OK then? And now for the next 14 days should we still keep it around 70 degrees and dark? Thanks for your quick answer, we were panicking and I think you are right about the magnification.

Back