Cellar Craft Primary Fermentation Buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJB

Reaction score
Good morning to all... in the last year I have made several of the Showcase reds. As a result of their large crushed grape packs, these kits are a bit much for your standard 23L "Biere et Vin" bucket. So, for these kits I purchased a 12gallon bucket down at the LHBS (food grade, intended for the purpose). These are a lighter grade plastic than the basic 23L jobs, and have a simple lid without a gasket, but with small nibs to keep the lid in place.

When I rack the reds from the 12gall bucket, for secondary ferm, I always immediately rinse the bucket, fill it with water, add a little detergent and let it sit outside for a few hours. Then I clean inside with a sponge, rinse it a few times, and let it sit empty for another week or two, in the sun/rain/wind/snow, then bring it onto the verandah, and leave the lid loosely on top. I am preparing to do a Red Mtn Cab, so yesterday I took the lid off, and sat the bucket over my head, and sssssniiiifffffed! Holy <bleep>... it reeked! Of slightly acrid fruity flavours, what you would expect from an unwashed vessel. This was two weeks after racking off an Amarone, and cleaning/rinsing as above. I have never noticed that with the 23L buckets.

Sorry to be long-winded, but here is the question:
Do plastic fermentation buckets have a limited useful lifetime? I am referring to possible deterioration or contamination of the plastic itself.

thanks in advance

Bob, Maple Vly, WA

PS - OAS, the Red Mtn kit that I just bought did *not* have labels =:O Not a problem, I will make my own.

Last edited:
Interesting question, I wouldn't think so but then again I am no expert.

Bob, Your note sent me scrambling down to my basement to check my two large (10 and 20 gallon) fermenters! I have only used the 10 gallon so far and I am happy to report that it seems fine, i.e. no off odor. I could not find an identifier for the plastic resin used in the larger tanks other than an "04" molded into the bottom of the 20 gallon. This could indicate LDPE, but I am not sure.

To your question, I have heard but have not experienced that the HDPE fermenters' bottoms can break out after extended use. So from what I have read (but not experienced, the asnwer is, yes, they apparently do have a limited useful lifetime. If you check your 23 liter buckets, they are probably HDPE. Also, my 2 HDPE buckets are 7.9 gallons or almost 30 liters and they are fine for the kits, even with a number of additions, e.g. f-packs, raisins, etc.

When I clean my fermenters, I use very hot water and OxiClean with a brush and a sponge. I rinse thoroughly with hot water and put about a quart of K-meta solution in the bucket and cover it for about an hour to let the gas work. I then dump the K-meta and dry the inside with a clean towel or paper towels before putting them away. I have not had any problems.

The 7.9 gal buckets last a long time - I am still using my original one from 16 years ago. There is a problem with some of these failing where the bottom is sealed to the walls, as Rocky mentioned, but this is not a problem with the larger one you have. As long as you clean them, rinse them and keep them stored well, they will last. It sounds like you keep it out in the weather and that is not good for it - sunlight is the enemy of most plastics and that could be part of your problem - some breakdown or offgassing may be taking place because of that.
Of course it may be normal too - I have never put one over my head to test it that way!

We use the Brute food grade 10 gallon containers for our batches without any problems, we put poly cloth over the top held on by a bungee. They clean very easily and are thicker walled than most fermentation buckets. Crackedcork

I've used US Plastics before and they are great. Love their selection. I didn't realize that they had 10 G Brutes. I'm going to have to order a couple.

Latest posts

Back