Prepping Oak Chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk

Reaction score
I have 6 gal of Cab from a juice bucket and bought a pkg of Oak Chips. What is the proper way to prep them before I put them in the carboy. Thanks

I personally had some great wine and added oak chips straight from the bag and it really ruined my wine. Maybe it was a fluke ?? but I know I will let them soak in vodka prior to adding them now.

I just dump mine in from the pack, but I've heard others soak theirs in sanitizer first.

Last edited:
I just dump mine in from the pack, but I've heard other soak theirs in sanitizer first.

I don't see why oak need to be sanitized if they came in a kit, maybe people sanitizes the ones from local stores that you buy by the ounce.

I will sit about a couple of feet away, in my little wine chair, feet up.
And just toss the individual chips ate the bucket/carboy opening.
What makes it in, is in!
What doesnt, doesnt!
It is not scientific, but it passes the time!

In what way was your wine ruined?

The ones that oak chips were added to - only 1 month latter - were barely drinkable. I mean like some sort of bacteria got in there.

I now oak in vodka prior to throwing them in or let them soak in vodka for several months and then add oak flavoring (brandy) into the wine without the use of the sticks

thanks guys I've heard of several ways even baking them in the oven for a certain time and heat. I like Elmers way. Ill just use my large funnel to aim at. lol

jhawk.....

I haven't used oak chips, yet....so I really don't have the answer. Hopefully, I'll be able to get you going in a good direction.

But after reading your last post, it looks like you are already headed that way....

I wanted to say that I have seen oak barrels made before. In one of the processes, there is fire added to the inside of the barrel.

I have heard a number of reasons, but don't really know why it is done. i.e, caramelizes, adds flavor, kills bacteria, makes the wet wood pliable for further assembly.....????

If it were me, I'd put some flame to all of the chips and char about 50%. And I'd do it with a cookie sheet and a propane torch... :h

Good luck....keep us posted..

jhawk.....

I haven't used oak chips, yet....so I really don't have the answer. Hopefully, I'll be able to get you going in a good direction.

But after reading your last post, it looks like you are already headed that way....

I wanted to say that I have seen oak barrels made before. In one of the processes, there is fire added to the inside of the barrel.

I have heard a number of reasons, but don't really know why it is done. i.e, caramelizes, adds flavor, kills bacteria, makes the wet wood pliable for further assembly.....????

If it were me, I'd put some flame to all of the chips and char about 50%. And I'd do it with a cookie sheet and a propane torch... :h

Good luck....keep us posted..

The chips come pre-toasted sometimes. I keep a bag of medium toast Hungarian oak for my wines.

Maybe just me.... I have tried chips on and off for a year now.... Never been impressed with their outcome. I use spirals for carboys.... Then a barrel.

Chips straight from the bag ruined 3 gallons of wine for me. Made it taste and smell like an ash tray.
Now testing a different approach using cubes boiled briefly in 3 changes of water. Much more promising.

I am making a choke cherry wine:
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f2/choke-cherry-wine-8316/

The oak I bought says: "Medium Toast Oak shavings". Pretty small stuff! It was not in what I would call a sealed bag. So I have 4 oz soaking in vodka. My question is: should I drain off the vodka? Or just dump it in my must. If you look at the above recipe the oak is added during fermentation. Any help will be appreciated.

My gut thought is you need to be careful how much vodka you add into a one gallon, will really raise ABV.

Based on your name, wanted to mention that I've made a lot of fermentation bags out of organza fabric. The plain kind, not shimmery or decorated of course. Its all nylon with no holes at all. Would be great for holding shavings, or fermenting strawberries or kiwi to prevent those tiny seeds from getting into the must. I know they sell organza bags at the LBH, but pricy considering how many you can make from 1 yd of fabric.

Pam in cinti

I have boiled oak that did NOT come with the kit, but I add the water they were boiled in as well so as not to lose the oak flavor the boiling leeched out. Makes the house smell good too. 1 cup oak in 1 cup water boil for 5 min.

so....I already have the oak soaking in vodka....can't boil in water at this point. If I go ahead and add the vodka along with the oak, and adjust my sugar accordingly, couldn't I still get a starting sg of around 1.087 (as suggested in the recipe)? Then it would not affect the ending alcohol percentage, right? In the recipe the oak is added before the yeast, so I could add the oak before I even begin to add sugar... I quickly drained off the vodka and ended up with 1 cup....the batch of choke cherry I am making is 6 1/2 gallons. The vodka is very oaky smelling and would hate to not get the oak impact if I toss the oaky vodka down the drain (or in a drink or two!) Would it really change the outcome? Thanks for the responses

Latest posts

Back