Potassium Metabisulphite or is Starsan OK?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54s10

Junior
Reaction score
My first wine kit. A Winexpert Chardonnay. The directions call for sanitizing with a metabisulphite solution. I assume that I can just use my Starsan that I already have from my beer brewing. Correct? or is the metabisulphite better?

If you are sanitizing your equipment then star San should be fine. But if you are adding to your wine then don't do it unless someone else says its OK.

Both are good but different. Star San sanitizes on contact while k-meta does so by fumes. There's an article on cleaning and santitizing on this website you may want to review.

Both are good but different. Star San sanitizes on contact while k-meta does so by fumes. There's an article on cleaning and santitizing on this website you may want to review.

Thanks, I have been brewing beer for a while and this is my first foray into wine. I just recently started perusing this site so I will certainly be reading much more in the near future.

For wine, does everyone use k-meta for sanitizing everything, including hoses, carboys, bottles, etc. Or is k-meta good for some applications, but not all?

For wine, does everyone use k-meta for sanitizing everything, including hoses, carboys, bottles, etc. Or is k-meta good for some applications, but not all?

The short answer is always sometimes and never always. I keep spray bottles of k-meta and Star San handy and use them both, but sometimes for different things. K-meta kills by SO2 fumes so is handy for certain things like corks. Star San kills on contact, making it easy to use with a spritz. Personally, I don't like Star San in bottles because of the bubbling.

There's an article in this website on cleaning and sanitizing.

Latest posts

Back