Adding strawberry puree and chocolate syrup after fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albaker

Junior
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at making wine, and I did purchase a winexpert kit. Fermentation is complete, and I just finished with stabilizing and degassing. Tomorrow, the instructions say it's time for clearning and adding the flavor bag, but I didn't want to add the flavor bag that came with the wine. I have some strawberry puree and chocolate syrup to put in its place.

I guess a little backstory. We had a winery in Oklahoma that had the best chocolate strawberry wine (yes, we like the sweeter wines), but the owner contracted COVID a couple years ago and passed away. That was so tragic, and no more wine is being produced. I figured if we can even get 1/2 way close to what they had, I'd be very happy.

I understand the extra sugar will cause additional fermentation, which I don't want. Tomorrow calls for putting chitosans in with the flavoring bag. What's the thought about adding the other ingredients (chocolate/strawberry) in the same proportion that's in the flavoring bag? The chocolate syrup does have cane sugar, but the strawberry puree has no additional sugar. Do I need to add any additional potassium metabisulphite?

Thanks for your input.

If the flavor pack that came with the kit had any sugar in it, then a packet of sorbate probably would have been included as well. Sorbate prevents refermentation of sugar. As long as you add sorbate, feel free to add your flavorings of choice.

Strawberry is a very delicate flavor so equal portions of chocolate flavoring might overwhelm the strawberry. Practice adding various mixtures to a glass of wine to hone in on a starting point.

Thanks DB for your time and input. I read up on sorbate, so this is great to know; however, I put in a 5.5g packet of potassium sorbate yesterday. Is there any way to tell how much is enough?

I'll try to get the a good starting point for the strawberry/chocolate ratio as you suggest.

For your first batch, I recommend following the kit instructions and using the flavor pack that came with it, before experimenting.

Having said that, there are some threads about adding chocolate and what kinds of chocolate work best here on WMT.

Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the sorbate dose. Its purpose is to stop any live yeast from propagating. The kmeta added at the same time works to kill off those live yeast.

If it were me tweaking the kit like you want to do, I would let it sit for a couple weeks after adding the sorbate and kmeta, just to make sure they have done their job. Then I would add the strawberry puree, give it a month or so for the flavors to mix and to make sure it didn't start fermenting again, then bench test with the chocolate to find the right amount to add to the batch.

If you care about the wine being clear with no sediment, you may need to use finings again, or let it age for a few more months to clear. You may need to add pectic enzyme since strawberries have pectin. I use double the dose of pectic enzyme if I add it at this stage, since it doesn't work as well as during the fermentation stage.

I have done a WineXpert Aprés Chocolate Raspberry dessert wine kit several times, and I notice that the flavors change the longer it ages. The latest bottle I opened was a lot more chocolate forward than those I opened sooner.

I also added homemade chocolate extract (cacao nibs in vodka for a few months, then strained, frozen to congeal and remove any oil before using) to a Finer Wine Kit strawberry after fermentation. I like it, but it's more of a dark chocolate taste than the milk chocolate I wanted. That, too, has changed as it ages. I bottled it in 375 ml bottles as I have done my other dessert wines, even though it's not as high an ABV as the dessert wine kits.

Finally, if you are interested in ordering wine, Eagles Landing Winery in Marquette, Iowa, makes a chocolate raspberry wine called Serenity and a chocolate blackberry called Autumn Splendor. Sooo yummy! They also have other sweet wines you might like. They do ship to most states using Vinoshipper. Or you can stop by their tasting room if you're in the area. Here is a link to their fruits and berries wines - these are all on the sweeter side (yes, I have tasted them ALL 😁):The Fruits and Berries

They just changed ownership a few months ago, but it's my understanding they intend to keep the wines the same. Jay, the previous owner, has won Iowa's Winemaker of the Year award and is nominated for it again this year. They always get many awards at the Iowa State Fair and took home the Governor's Cup last fall.

Last edited:
@albaker Hi and welcome to WMT! Kits are a good way to start and learn the basics.
For your first batch, I recommend following the kit instructions and using the flavor pack that came with it, before experimenting.
I agree, this is good advice. Once you learn more, you can modify the directions and make up your own recipes.

When you are ready, you might want to try make strawberry chocolate wine from scratch, without any grape juice. As @Ohio Bob said, strawberry is a delicate flavor, so you would want to use 100% strawberry fruit/juice with no added water. Then you could add cocoa powder or chocolate nibs to get the right balance of flavors. I made a tart cherry/chocolate wine that is one of our favorites, so I share your love of chocolate.

Wine making is a great adventure! Experiment and have fun!

The standard amount of K sorbate to add for stabilization is 0.5 tsp per gallon. If that is what you added from your packet, then it should be ok. However, I have always been told you also need to add K Metabisulfite or "Campden" for stabilization to occur.
This is my first attempt at making wine, and I did purchase a winexpert kit. Fermentation is complete, and I just finished with stabilizing and degassing. Tomorrow, the instructions say it's time for clearning and adding the flavor bag, but I didn't want to add the flavor bag that came with the wine. I have some strawberry puree and chocolate syrup to put in its place.

I guess a little backstory. We had a winery in Oklahoma that had the best chocolate strawberry wine (yes, we like the sweeter wines), but the owner contracted COVID a couple years ago and passed away. That was so tragic, and no more wine is being produced. I figured if we can even get 1/2 way close to what they had, I'd be very happy.

I understand the extra sugar will cause additional fermentation, which I don't want. Tomorrow calls for putting chitosans in with the flavoring bag. What's the thought about adding the other ingredients (chocolate/strawberry) in the same proportion that's in the flavoring bag? The chocolate syrup does have cane sugar, but the strawberry puree has no additional sugar. Do I need to add any additional potassium metabisulphite?

Thanks for your input.

Good to know. Thanks, Peggy.
The thing is every kit made by a reputable kit maker contains all the ingredients you need to make the wine labeled in the packaging. If the kit contains sweeteners to be added post fermentation, they will have included both the k-sorbate and k-meta. And the kit will have included precisely the amount of these two compounds used in tandem (what we call "stabilizers") for the volume of wine to be made by the kit. I rarely make wines from kits, but the basic idea is that except for the addition of water, the wine maker has no need to measure any ingredient. Moreover, nothing is left out for you to purchase separately (apart from equipment and bottles and corks) and nothing included should not be fully used. The only things you should have on your hands after you bottle is the packaging. I say that with the caveat that fining agents are often animal products and vegetarians and vegans (and those who follow kosher practices) may want to avoid their use.

The standard amount of K sorbate to add for stabilization is 0.5 tsp per gallon. If that is what you added from your packet, then it should be ok. However, I have always been told you also need to add K Metabisulfite or "Campden" for stabilization to occur.
That is correct -- sorbate works in conjunction with K-meta to prevent yeast from reproducing. If you are adding your own sorbate, you have to add the K-meta. As @BernardSmith pointed out, the "finishing pack" provided with all kit brands I'm familiar with includes a proper dose of both, so you should not add more sorbate. Excess sorbate can produce off flavors.

@albaker Hi and welcome to WMT! Kits are a good way to start and learn the basics.

I agree, this is good advice. Once you learn more, you can modify the directions and make up your own recipes.

When you are ready, you might want to try make strawberry chocolate wine from scratch, without any grape juice. As @Ohio Bob said, strawberry is a delicate flavor, so you would want to use 100% strawberry fruit/juice with no added water. Then you could add cocoa powder or chocolate nibs to get the right balance of flavors. I made a tart cherry/chocolate wine that is one of our favorites, so I share your love of chocolate.

Wine making is a great adventure! Experiment and have fun!

I have made 5 or 6 kits, some Ohio Maple Syrup and some Grape Juice wines. PROBLEM- I did my first Vintner's Best Black Cherry. It's sitting in the carboy for about 6 months done because I simply don't know what to do with it.

#1. it's to acidic /tart and even back-sweetening to 10% and a little glycerin in the samples I've pulled out do not seem to help. I have immediate heart burn.. it tastes like other Cherry wines I've bought but something is missing...

#2. I've thought of adding chocolate nibs- thoughts?

#3. I've thought of turning it into a "fortified" wine with some Brandy- suggestions on best/ smoothest Brandy or other liquors. I do love PORT and have made one of the dessert kits. I'm looking forward to this advise/recommendation for other projects I am playing around with.

I have made 5 or 6 kits, some Ohio Maple Syrup and some Grape Juice wines. PROBLEM- I did my first Vintner's Best Black Cherry. It's sitting in the carboy for about 6 months done because I simply don't know what to do with it.

#1. it's to acidic /tart and even back-sweetening to 10% and a little glycerin in the samples I've pulled out do not seem to help. I have immediate heart burn.. it tastes like other Cherry wines I've bought but something is missing...

#2. I've thought of adding chocolate nibs- thoughts?

#3. I've thought of turning it into a "fortified" wine with some Brandy- suggestions on best/ smoothest Brandy or other liquors. I do love PORT and have made one of the dessert kits. I'm looking forward to this advise/recommendation for other projects I am playing around with.
I’m curious, what is rhe pH of the wine? Also, have you degassed it? I know excessive CO2 in the wine can give me heartburn.

You might have better luck starting a new thread too introduce yourself and ask your questions.

And welcome to WMT.

@wendy_7770 Checking the pH as @ChuckD suggested is a good idea. TA is a better indicator of taste, but knowing the pH would help. If the acid level is okay, then maybe it is the tannins that you are tasting.

I have learned is that both tart cherry and chocolate need 1-2 years of aging to be good. If your Black Cherry kit is only 6 months old, give it some more time. Let it age for 6 months longer, and then taste it again. My tart cherry wine was okay after 1 year, and very nice after 2 years. At that point you could add just a little bit of sweetness and some glycerin.

My suggestion is to just stick with cherry wine this time. If you want to do another batch with chocolate nibs, then you could compare. Chocolate will give a bitter flavor if you don't age it for at least 1 year.

This hobby requires a lot of patience. We need to be in it for the long haul.

Back