Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a very old apartment building on the Southside of Birmingham, Alabama. It is in a pretty nice section of town. Has not been upgraded into luxury apartments. Too bad. It's name is Quinlan Castle. It is owned by Southern Reseach Institute for storage. They may do something with it.

Quinlancastle_zps45f1c3bc.jpg

Last edited:
1) shred cheese,
2) stuff into center of a rolled up rolling paper,
3) tamp one end and light the other,
4) take a long drawn out and satisfying puff.

No, I did not mean that way. I mean to eat. you just misunderstood I guess:ft

How do you smoke cheese? Looks good. you need my address?

Well let's see. I use a rather heavy built offset smoker its kinda big at least 1/4 inch thick steel. With the heat management plate I got from all things BBQ I can easily maintain a constant heat without spikes one way or the other. I build a small pile of coals and put apple wood chips and keep feeding it to maintain smoke. If you can keep the temp down to about 115° for 45 min. That's it. Then vacuum seal to draw in smoke. I usually cut the block rectangle cheese length wise so its like a stick of butter. That way you can just slice it once for cracker size. And better smoke coverage.

Yes. Came out of a Mercury Marquis. That's when cars were BIG!

My first car was a '73 Mercury Marquis Brougham with a 429, stomp the pedal, I swear I could see the gas gauge drop. :) Picked her up for $400, wish I still had that car, she was clean.

I'm smoking salmon and cheese this weekend if you want pictures.

That's ok, I think I will send you my address instead!

I have access to a smoker that has a separate box on it. I suppose I could maintain a temp of a little over 110 if I built a small fire with charcoal briquets, place the cheese as far away as I could. I would not be able to vacuum seal the smoker but if the cooking chamber filled up with smoke shouldn't that smoke the cheese.

I hope I could maintain that low temp.

olusteebus, thats exactly how i do some of my white cheese i get from wisconsin...
i have even smoked cheese curds...which are excllent smoked.

Olusteebus,

I think the vacuum seal is on the cheese after it comes off the smoker.

How do you smoke cheese?

Low and slow with all of those left over oak cubes and chips from kits gone by.

Dang buddy, you just reminded me what I forgot to bring home tonight. I pulled a 30" oak plank out of a tank a few days ago and plan on cutting it up to use it on my grill at home.

How do you smoke cheese?

Low and slow with all of those left over oak cubes and chips from kits gone by.

Exactly. I have a weber smokey mountain, which is an upright smoker. Light just a few coals with a piece of smoke wood and put ice in the drip pan.

Buster: I imagine you could do something similar with an offset. Small fire in the fire box, with some ice and your cheese in the main chamber.

That's ok, I think I will send you my address instead!

I have access to a smoker that has a separate box on it. I suppose I could maintain a temp of a little over 110 if I built a small fire with charcoal briquets, place the cheese as far away as I could. I would not be able to vacuum seal the smoker but if the cooking chamber filled up with smoke shouldn't that smoke the cheese.

I hope I could maintain that low temp.

If it's as cold as it is here that should do the trick. I also put the cheese on the furthest side to help with melting. I vacuum seal the cheese after smoking with vacuum storage plastic bags

Latest posts

Back