Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I caught them (there were two!) in the act last year, they were able to climb up one of the wooden fence post braces and get over. Not sure what else to do... I don't love the idea of an electric fence and I don't think barbed wire would dissuade them (plus I don't want my home to look like a prison yard...) Maybe some of those spikes that you can get to keep birds off things?

Late in the summer, we can often hear what sounds like a cannon going off every 20 minutes or so from the ridge opposite. I spoke to a vineyard manager last year who said that it was her vineyard, the noise is supposed to scare the bears off. Not sure it works because she said that their usual 3-4 ton yield was reduced to 1/2 ton last year due to bear damage...
I don’t think spikes or barbed wire will dissuade a bear. They protect bee hives with a multi-strand electric fence. Their fur is so thick it acts as an insulator so you put peanut butter on one of the wires to entice the bear to lick it 🫨. Works for coons too!

Deck Construction Day 17: Jumped out there at 7 am with the humidity at 98% and heavy clouds. Weatherman said rain, but I've heard that before. Clouds went away. Kept plugging away until noon and 91 degree in the shade, and got the railing all in place. Cloudy again now, so it probably will rain this afternoon. It lacks 60 more screws to make sure it stays where it is, but otherwise it's installed.

The posts on the left are higher because I had designed a 42-inch rail but the wife issued a change order for a 37-inch rail (1 inch over code minimum in all but two states). I am glad she did. I'll trim those off eventually, then the post toppers will look real nice on it. It's got that simple Shaker-like look to it that I was after.

The gaps are opening up in my tight-installed deck boards now.

Still lots to do - install screws and a couple more Carriage bolts, wiring, lattice, stairs - but right now I need a gummy! :)

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG

Yes. I caught them (there were two!) in the act last year, they were able to climb up one of the wooden fence post braces and get over. Not sure what else to do... I don't love the idea of an electric fence and I don't think barbed wire would dissuade them (plus I don't want my home to look like a prison yard...) Maybe some of those spikes that you can get to keep birds off things?

Late in the summer, we can often hear what sounds like a cannon going off every 20 minutes or so from the ridge opposite. I spoke to a vineyard manager last year who said that it was her vineyard, the noise is supposed to scare the bears off. Not sure it works because she said that their usual 3-4 ton yield was reduced to 1/2 ton last year due to bear damage...

I use electric all over the farm. We even have two solar dog fencing chargers running two devices called the Coon-O-Matic that I invented to keep coons and squirrels out of our bird feeders. People say it is not humane - hogwash. They get a short nonharmful shock. The fencer is built to cut the shock off once delivered.

I've been shocked a few times and it makes you take notice. Usually once an animal gets a taste, it will respect the boundarries set by the fence. The two factors in a good electric fence are a ground rod driven deep enough to be in permanently moist soil and keeping the fence as weed free as possible.

Coon-O-Matic prototype. They are now built of PVC pipe.

COON O MATIC.jpg

Latest posts

Back