Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gas is up here 22 cents in two days. Interesting, that, since the OPEC Plus production reductions don't begin to take effect until November. Ahem.

Well, the refinery explosion didn't help: BP-Husky Toledo refinery likely won't restart for months after explosion and fire

In my view, the real pain still lies ahead with coming job losses and recession. We almost have to experience that in order to be rid of the inflation.
[snip]
The U.S. job market remains tight and people are still buying, even as the IMF is issuing dire warnings about the global economy.

I don't disagree. However, this simpleton has a hard time getting my head around why record-low unemployment is such a bad thing. I mean, I get it, but I don't get it! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Well, the refinery explosion didn't help: BP-Husky Toledo refinery likely won't restart for months after explosion and fire

I don't disagree. However, this simpleton has a hard time getting my head around why record-low unemployment is such a bad thing. I mean, I get it, but I don't get it! 🤷‍♂️

Here is why: Higher employment means rising wages as employers chase workers, which means there is more money chasing goods. I mean, for my job right now, I can currently leave and make $25K more tomorrow while working remotely. (Which I plan to do after I lock in my vest for the pension here.)

When workers do well, and supplies are constrained as they have been and still are, inflation results. Corporations also take advantage of that, as it is good for them. Any company that can manage to increase its prices at a rate that is above its input costs will gain profits. If that $1 item cost 50 cents to make, and the production cost rises to 75 cents but the price goes to $2, you have gained more revenue and profit.

Then what happens if this is allowed to continue is that people begin to EXPECT inflation, so they expect an item to be more tomorrow than it was today – so they buy as soon as they can, which just drives more demand and more inflation.

There are two ways out of inflation: Increase supply or reduce the amount of money chasing the available goods. The Fed pursues the latter. I think we are in for a pretty hard landing, the way things are going.

This just in...

The jobless rate saw an unexpected decline in September, falling to 3.5% from 3.7%.

That took the wind out of the sales of the Fed Pivot crowd, who had been hoping that further evidence of erosion in the labor market after the plunge in job openings reported earlier this week. Labor force participation looked to be the reason for lower unemployment, ticking down to 62.3% from 62.4%.

In the past 60 years there have been 15 Fed rate-hiking cycles and the average unemployment rate at the time of the last Fed rate hike was 5.7%, BofA strategist Michael Hartnett said.
While past events are no predictors of future events, if that trend continued the jobless rate would now be more than 200 basis points away from a Fed finish. If the Fed is truly committed to bringing down inflation to 2%, that boosts the likelihood of a hard landing where the ultimate highs in credit spreads (LQD) (JNK) and ultimate lows in stocks (NYSEARCA:SPY) (QQQ) (DIA) (IWM) have yet to be seen, Harnett said.

Second dealership in NM on Pueblo lands since NM doesn't allow direct car sales. Santa Anna is midway between ABQ and Santa fe so much closer to ABQ this time around. Interestingly there are several more large Pueblos just outside ABQ that would have been better locations IMHO so I am wondering why either of those were chosen instead. Nice they will put in a supercharger, NM does not have anywhere near the charging infrastructure that will be needed to travel through the state efficiently.

What's more insane is that I believe only Tesla's can charge at these super fast charge stations. So other EV's need to find a charging station that will charge their vehicle but at a much slower pace (hours and hours instead of ~20mins) So I feel like until we have a single charge port and charging technology we are basically in the VHS vs Betamax stage of EV's. We all know how that turned out for Sony........

Second dealership in NM on Pueblo lands since NM doesn't allow direct car sales. Santa Anna is midway between ABQ and Santa fe so much closer to ABQ this time around. Interestingly there are several more large Pueblos just outside ABQ that would have been better locations IMHO so I am wondering why either of those were chosen instead. Nice they will put in a supercharger, NM does not have anywhere near the charging infrastructure that will be needed to travel through the state efficiently.

What's more insane is that I believe only Tesla's can charge at these super fast charge stations. So other EV's need to find a charging station that will charge their vehicle but at a much slower pace (hours and hours instead of ~20mins) So I feel like until we have a single charge port and charging technology we are basically in the VHS vs Betamax stage of EV's. We all know how that turned out for Sony........

“No os despereis”.

The other real question you need to ask is why other EV makers are not ramping up with chargers all over the US like Tesla has been doing, slowly but surely, for years now. Personally I think they all left Tesla alone and Elon’s vision into the future and now they’re trying to catch up.

We’re in havasu city for a small family gathering and the guest bed is just not cutting it. After tossing most the night I snuck out to shoot an old motel sign that I’ve been driving by for years. This is on the 40 at Proving Grounds Road near Alamos road. I don’t think it’ll be there much longer.
F0D00C20-DD34-4C6C-A350-AE416E68D898.jpeg

We’re in havasu city for a small family gathering and the guest bed is just not cutting it. After tossing most the night I snuck out to shoot an old motel sign that I’ve been driving by for years. This is on the 40 at Proving Grounds Road near Alamos road. I don’t think it’ll be there much longer.
View attachment 93788

Nice! I like your version better than Google's:

motel sign.jpg

You know you can officially drop "the" when speaking about highways outside of California! LOL

View attachment 93788

Back