Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree 100%. Musk is absolutely brilliant. By the way, I bought me an electric vehicle.

View attachment 91052

It does not take brilliance to make money, as many a multimillionaire and billionaire has proven, and I doubt Elon actually has any quality I would call brilliance. It does take a capacity for risk and at least the initial ability to see business opportunity. Once a certain degree of capital is produced by initial successes, greater risks can be take at lower cost if they fail. This is the well-trodden pattern Elon Musk has followed.

Musk got his starting capital from his Dad, who had a successful engineering business in South Africa. Tesla was incorporated in July 2003 by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning as Telsa Motors. Eberhard said he wanted to build "a car manufacturer that is also a technology company," with its core technologies as "the battery, the computer software, and the proprietary motor."

In February 2004, via a $6.5 million investment, Musk became the largest shareholder of the company. He took a more and more active role in the company he had bought into, eventually becoming chair of its board. In August 2007, Eberhard was asked by the board, led by Musk, to step down as CEO. Musk has served as CEO since 2008.

In other words, he bought his way in and then used every advantage of being the largest shareholder to take over. Nothing brilliant about that, lots have done it.

By January 2009, Tesla had raised $187 million and delivered 147 cars. Musk had contributed $70 million of his own money to the company. BTW, Musk got his money to buy Tesla by founding a company and then another company that merged with Peter Thiel’s Confinity platform and later – after Musk was thrown out as CEO, his second consecutive experience at that – under Thiel's leadership became Paypal.

A social media animal, Musk has used it in a wide variety of ways suspect under SEC rules to expand his wealth, creating buzz for a speculative, overvalued stock and manipulating neophyte investor fans over and over to accumulate more for himself.

In a stroke of also not-brilliance BUT the ability to recognize opportunity, I recognized that years ago and have been using Musk's manipulations since as a way to create wealth for myself by buying and selling the stock, as well as shorting it, when the timing was appropriate. Shrug. Also not rocket science.

Last edited:
It does not take brilliance to make money, as many a multimillionaire and billionaire has proven, and I doubt Elon actually has any quality I would call brilliance. It does take a capacity for risk and at least the initial ability to see business opportunity. Once a certain degree of capital is produced by initial successes, greater risks can be take at lower cost if they fail. This is the well-trodden pattern Elon Musk has followed.

Musk got his starting capital from his Dad, who had a successful engineering business in South Africa. Tesla was incorporated in July 2003 by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning as Telsa Motors. Eberhard said he wanted to build "a car manufacturer that is also a technology company," with its core technologies as "the battery, the computer software, and the proprietary motor."

In February 2004, via a $6.5 million investment, Musk became the largest shareholder of the company. He took a more and more active role in the company he had bought into, eventually becoming chair of its board. In August 2007, Eberhard was asked by the board, led by Musk, to step down as CEO. Musk has served as CEO since 2008.

In other words, he bought his way in and then used every advantage of being the largest shareholder to take over. Nothing brilliant about that, lots have done it.

By January 2009, Tesla had raised $187 million and delivered 147 cars. Musk had contributed $70 million of his own money to the company. BTW, Musk got his money to buy Tesla by founding a company and then another company that merged with Peter Thiel’s Confinity platform and later – after Musk was thrown out as CEO, his second consecutive experience at that – under Thiel's leadership became Paypal.

A social media animal, Musk has used it in a wide variety of ways suspect under SEC rules to expand his wealth, creating buzz for a speculative, overvalued stock and manipulating neophyte investor fans over and over to accumulate more for himself.

In a stroke of also not-brilliance BUT the ability to recognize opportunity, I recognized that years ago and have been using Musk's manipulations since as a way to create wealth for myself by buying and selling the stock, as well as shorting it, when the timing was appropriate. Shrug. Also not rocket science.

In my books, nothing wrong about that.

"Although no official resources have tested Musk, his IQ is generally estimated at 155. Experts based it on its potential to understand and apply complex data strategies, its first aptitude checks, and how it uses its knowledge to drive innovation in complex industries." That puts him in the "brilliant" category. Forbe's lists his IQ as 160. Others have estimated his IQ as 240. You may be using Musk's "manipulations". But you are not Elon Musk and my guess is you're net worth does not approach $244 billion.

"Although no official resources have tested Musk, his IQ is generally estimated at 155. Experts based it on its potential to understand and apply complex data strategies, its first aptitude checks, and how it uses its knowledge to drive innovation in complex industries." That puts him in the "brilliant" category. Forbe's lists his IQ as 160. Others have estimated his IQ as 240. You may be using Musk's "manipulations". But you are not Elon Musk and my guess is you're net worth does not approach $244 billion.

You lost me after "Although no official resources have tested Musk..." In that case, using the same criteria, I estimate YOUR IQ at 172, and mine at 194. There is ZERO direct link or correlation between IQ and wealth. ZERO. Hence, it does NOT take brains to be a billionaire. It takes rapaciousness, the necessary finances to be able to strike, and selecting the proper opportunities. Musk got the finances to strike at Tesla because of the leadership of Peter Thiel at what was to become Paypal. That made Musk's stock a winner.

Millions of investors and business owners of all intellectual capacities have followed similar paths to wealth, though they may not have been as rapacious as Musk or for other reasons did not reach such gargantuan control of assets. However, by percentage relative to where they started out, they too have succeeded. Musk is very rapacious and a good businessman. That's it.

@geek we have a dedicated thread for "memes". Please post any and all memes over there and keep this thread for pics.

Yesterday marked 4 years of ownership of my Tesla, still a very happy camper with this EV, hands down no regrets.

That picture was July 28, 2018.

View attachment 91113

Severe drought pasture. This should be about a foot high at this stage of summer. The cows astill look good, mostly becaise I roate them weekly between paddocks.

IMG_20220727_172241917_MP.jpg

We are finally due to get rain today and tomorrow. Headed my way now.

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 9.34.01 AM.png

Last edited:
Back