Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't cuss the farmer with your mouth full, is my advice. :)
Didn’t intend to insult, just confirming that you don’t own a “factory” farm. I work in the conservation field and a good part of my life working with dairy farms if all sizes. When I think of factory farms it’s the ones with several to tens of thousands of cows. And yes many of them are still family owned. The biggest problem we have with these mega farms is managing the millions of gallons of waste produced when so many animals are so concentrated. It leads to serious water quality issues, not mention the increase reliance on pesticides and herbicides to increase efficiency.

I admit to not reading the story ( subscription required) but the list given in the original comment was more appropriately giant Agri-business conglomerates that are no friend of the small, medium, or large farms. They are part of the reason farmers get such a small portion of the food dollar spent by Americans. I for one try to be as self reliant as possible and we, in this country, are very spoiled by low food prices. I do my part by buying locally and would personally be ok paying more if the profit would find its way to the producer instead of big agri-business.

I hope that clarifies my comment. Again, no offense intended. And I’m done🥵… too much typing on this dang phone.

Both batches were 1.090. The instructions say these kits should be within 1.080-1.100
Don't top up with water.

With regard to topup wine, I've learned to be lazy. I can move a kit into a 19 liter carboys with numerous smaller bottles. Or I can top the 23 liter and have one container to mess with.

From my POV I'm going to drink the topup wine, either way. If I drink it separately or as part of a larger blend, it still goes down the hatch.

Don't top up with water.

I think I will break down the Pinot Gris to a 3 gallon and whatever it takes for the remainder and I'll just top up the red.

I really wanted to see how these would come out as intended so I'm a little ticked.

I prefer white for sipping. I usually cook more with reds, however there is someone in this house that drinks red by the gallon (you didn't hear it from me!). I do believe one way or another, it will go down the hatch.

And also @ChuckD

That is directly the result of having too many mouths to feed. If ya don't like it and you are of childbearing age, do the right thing for the planet and don't have kids! We didn't.

My farm is NOT a hobby. If you think it is, I invite you to step into my shoes and do the work I do every day. I sell my calves into the so-called "factory farm" system. Have done it for 32 years. You think food is high now? If it was all small farms, food would be a helluva lot more expensive (think multiples of 10), and then maybe more people would hold off on having the kids we need absolutely no more of, globally. They could not possibly afford them. That would be a silver lining. But the only way to affordably feed all these mouths we keep breeding is the intensive way we are doing it. Those New York writers wouldn't last more than 2 weeks, and violence would break out across the city, if the "factory farms" were closed down. Let's not kid ourselves

Also, I might point out that most so-called "factory farms" ARE indeed family owned. It takes a large operation in a low return on investment business to support a family. For example, it takes 300 mama cows and 90% live deliveries to return $30,000 to the farmhouse. Keeping those cows is HARD WORK. That's why you see these Midwestern farmers planting 2,000 acres – and still hauling their butts out of bed every day to drive truck or work in town.

These family farms are incorporated, and so the activists label them as factory farms. The activists also label any farm using modern intensive production methods for maximum efficiency as "factory farms." Would I prefer a bucolic landscape dotted with thousands of small farms? Sure. But that is not realistic. The way we do it is how you feed 7 billion people who are rapidly breeding their way to 9 billion. Most of the activists have never worked with animals at scale or planted at scale, never even set foot on a farm – and would never deem to soil their hands in hard work.

I have been in ag for 32 years and I know one thing for certain: City folks who have no idea what it takes to feed the world are easily duped by marketing and false information. Ag is not perfect, but in my 32 years I have seen it improve a whole lot, and we are feeding the world. In the USA, one average-sized farm feeds an average of 166 people. I personally am responsible for the births and rearing of hundreds of calves over 32 years that fed a lot of people. That's how 3% of our population who are farmers feed the other 97%, and then feed the world beyond with the leftovers.

Don't cuss the farmer with your mouth full, is my advice. :)

The US birth rate has been declining since 2008. Here's a bigger problem with our food production and consumption: "Each year, 108 billion pounds of food is wasted in the United States. That equates to 130 billion meals and more than $408 billion in food thrown away each year. Shockingly, nearly 40% of all food in America is wasted."

i keep pints quarts,,, half gallons and gallons all in 33-400 thread. that way a drilled 6.5 bung will fit all and you can airlock them, a small universal bung turned upside down will fit a wine bottle, so you can airlock using wine bottles
I have a stock of #3 drilled stopper for wine bottles. Better to have too many stoppers than too few!

The US birth rate has been declining since 2008. Here's a bigger problem with our food production and consumption: "Each year, 108 billion pounds of food is wasted in the United States. That equates to 130 billion meals and more than $408 billion in food thrown away each year. Shockingly, nearly 40% of all food in America is wasted."

Actually, birth rates are declining in many countries. Many more are expected to join that club in the next 20 years.

And climate change is always entertaining:
https://cei.org/blog/wrong-again-50-years-of-failed-eco-pocalyptic-predictions/
I especially like a recent suggestion to remove all greenhouse gases from the atmosphere. Uh, CO2 is kind of important for life.

@BigDaveK

Staying on topic, I am talking about global population growth figures. Any mouth anywhere needs food, and U.S. farmers still lead the world in feeding the world.

populationgrowthhistory2.jpg

Didn’t intend to insult, just confirming that you don’t own a “factory” farm. I work in the conservation field and a good part of my life working with dairy farms if all sizes. When I think of factory farms it’s the ones with several to tens of thousands of cows. And yes many of them are still family owned. The biggest problem we have with these mega farms is managing the millions of gallons of waste produced when so many animals are so concentrated. It leads to serious water quality issues, not mention the increase reliance on pesticides and herbicides to increase efficiency.

I admit to not reading the story ( subscription required) but the list given in the original comment was more appropriately giant Agri-business conglomerates that are no friend of the small, medium, or large farms. They are part of the reason farmers get such a small portion of the food dollar spent by Americans. I for one try to be as self reliant as possible and we, in this country, are very spoiled by low food prices. I do my part by buying locally and would personally be ok paying more if the profit would find its way to the producer instead of big agri-business.

I hope that clarifies my comment. Again, no offense intended. And I’m done🥵… too much typing on this dang phone.

I wasn't offended. That's why the smilie after that statement. I own a cow-calf beef operation that sells directly into the so-called "factory" feedlot system. I have farmed for half my life, longer than any other job I have ever had, having been tutored by my father in law, a former dairyman who then switched to beef later in life.

You have stated the perfect activist viewpoint representation. It comes from people who have grown used to cheap and plentiful food and rarely takes into account the costs of producing in other ways. As I said, agriculture cannot wear a halo in all regards, but it has vastly improved over the last 50 years. I agree that there are environmental tradeoffs and impacts, just as there are environmental costs to all aspects of accommodating a ballooning global human population that is really already too big for the planet's natural ability to sustain it.

To feed the mouths we have, and the ones that are coming, at an affordable price in a low ROI industry, there are trade-offs. There always will be tradeoffs, because our population exceeds the Earth's natural capacity without applying efficiency systems to production.

A farm just up the road from mine sells its "green" Black Angus beef directly through an on-site store. Ribeye is $29.95 a pound (currently, they are regularly $14.95 a pound at Kroger and were on sale last week at $9.99 a pound). Hamburger is $12 a pound ("green" Greenwise at Kroger is $6.99). If people want to pay for it, there are lots of better yet much less efficient ways to raise animals. But generally, average hardworking American families don't want to pay for it. The upper class is presently financing the specialty "green" and "sustainable" beef operations with their higher prices, as regular folks can't pay that. Wagyu beef, for example, is currently the largest growing breed in the United States, to satisfy an upscale palate.

In other words, the farmer's success in providing cheap and plentiful food has allowed a first in human history – people can actually CHOOSE their food and price range.

Corn is a particular area where there are lots of less efficient "green" ways to grow it (although I'll add that most organic farms use a "natural" pesticide legally). Back in 1960, when each farm fed 26 people instead of 166, we were much less efficient and much harder on the land. We on average are currently producing about 5-6 times the amount of this cornerstone crop per acre over the early '60s numbers, and doing it with far less soil loss. 200 bushels an acre is not an amazing number anymore, even on marginal land. The entire rest of food production relies on corn or products of corn, and corn that is priced five times higher than it is now would have myriad inflationary effects on almost every processed food and on meat, as well.

Then there's the fact that the middlemen between farmer and table are 75% of the price of food. It's all a balancing equation between production costs, their influence on retail price, and production methods. The reason farms, and especially crop farms, grow in size is because of the economies of scale needed in a low ROI endeavor, as in my cattle example from before. If you are buying a $500,000 combine, you want to amortize that investment across as many acres as you can. That goes for every single input on the farm, which is the only business enterprise that buys its inputs at retail and then sells at a future undetermined price set by the marketplace. That's the essential business nut to crack, right there, for a farmer. Those who are good at it make money. It takes a very sharp pencil and the maximum operation you can sustain on your resources.

In livestock, diss pigs for the lagoons, but they fail to ever consider what it would take to field-raise those animals in a "green" setting, or the non-source pollution that would create. Chicken houses are considered inhumane, but no one ever looks at what the costs would be of truly free-range chicken (not birds in big cages they market as "free range" now). Cattle are said to be these awful greenhouse gas emitters (which is very much a subject of academic debate), but it remains true that livestock convert plant material from land that cannot be otherwise used for crop production into high protein foods we otherwise would not have. My own farm is made up of lands like that.

While there will never be a form of farming or ranching that lacks environmental impacts, and there never has been, U.S. ag has tremendously increased its output, on a smaller footprint, over the past five decades. "Sustainability" is the hot topic at all levels of ag now, and has been for almost a decade. Production efficiency and animal welfare have dramatically increased, on less land and with less impact on the land. Is there still work to be done? Yes. But while being relentlessly criticized, the American farmer still delivers the most abundant food supply in the world at the lowest cost, so that the most people can afford to access it. That is truly a matter of national security.

As an illustration, I took Agriculture class in high school. We covered a lot of topics, including farm business management. At that time, the label and the can each cost more than the farmer was paid for the corn. IIRC, the corn was about 10% of the total cost of producing a can of corn.

can of corn.jpeg

This line of discussion has gone way off topic. I posted the picture to bring us back on topic. ;)

What extensions are allowed to upload a short video?
.MOV from iPhone not accepted.

Latest posts

Back