Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Summer sausage but that's about it so far. I need to build or buy something that would press out sausage and grapes. My little meat grinder just doesn't have the oomph to stuff. Grinds great though.

I figured I would change the topic. My next vacation destination.

Did you take that? I've been trying to find time to do some astrophotography. It takes a lot of long exposure shots to make a single picture. For that you need an excellent mount with extremely accurate motors for guidance.

Awesome capture!!

Well, I posted this picture in response to another's post on a different thread, but it was deemed off-topic and was deleted. Figgered I'd post it here instead.

This is a picture of Kobe beef that I took at a high-end store in Japan. Kobe beef is amazing, but it is expen$ive. The price on that beef below works out to $217 per lb. :mny

kobe.jpg

Dear Lord, that is pricey. I hear the Japanese give the wagyu cattle massages with sake.

wagyu is not kobe beef.
wagyu is just a Japanese style cow and is sold as a fake kobe in usa
Tajima is a black breed cow where kobe beef comes from...there is a big difference in the way it feels in the mouth...
yagyu almost has the feel of range cattle kinda like eating butter.

For the last two years, I've treated myself to a Wagyu strip steak on my birthday. Wegman's (a chain grocer) carries a few cuts of Wagyu, Berkshire pork, etc. They are pricey, but for once a year, I love cooking and eating them. The nice thing is, they are very rich - like James said, like butter. So you don't need/want to eat a monster steak. A little goes a long way.

Wa means japanese or Japanese Style

Gyu means Cow or Cattle
I have had it, in japan and it is excellent,
You can buy a wagyu steak in the usa, u can not buy a real kobe ,but they have just started to import it...
I may not know why...I do know my beef, I am a steak eater, have been to just about every 5 star steakhouse from east to west coast. I have app
120 to 130 steaks in the freezer from different sources.
I have tried for about a year to get a 5 lb kobe beef ribeye send to me..
Not happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be authentic certified Japanese Kobe Beef the following criteria need to be met:

Breed of cattle is pure lineage Tajima (Tajima-Gyu), between 28-60 months of age, born, raised and slaughtered in the Hyogo Prefecture of Japan.
Certified as having a yield score of A or B.
Japanese Meat Grading Association quality score of 4 or 5.
BMS score of 6 or higher on the Tajima-Gyu marble grading scale of 1-12.
Has the “Japanese Chrysanthemum” seal officially certifying it as Kobe Beef.

- See more at: http://www.buedelmeatup.com/2012/12...een-kobe-and-wagyu-beef/#sthash.sIbfalFk.dpuf

Yeah, that is the way those of us in these parts feel about northern Illinois, too. Probably for different reasons! ;)

I saw a nice sign on a bar near the Illinois/Wisconsin border once that said:

GO BEARS!

(Take Cubs with you.)

Yeah, you got that right! :)

Guys,

I love to eat just as much as the next guy, and I LOVE beef, but there is NO WAY I am going to get my money's worth from a $200+ per pound steak. Even if it was the best steak ever, and I had to sit down after eating it, I would still not pay that kind of money for Kobe beef.

I wonder just how much of that price is due to the costs of getting it "certified kobe" and not due to special care and attention in raising the animal.

James,
Several points from your last post really came across as disrespectful to Julie:
of course it is julie...jeesh
if you dont know what kobe is go read...
as you said to me once..reading things online does not give you the knowledge as a long edeavor will. are something like that.
believe what you want.

I'm going to suggest that you should tone it down a notch.

You may think that the Mods are asking you for your source of info that you may have posted, or to clarify what you posted, to bust your chops, the Mods are actively monitoring WMT, trying to filter out any misinformation.

The problem with misinformation is that it has a tendency to spread fast and become "accepted" if not corrected.

Dear Lord, that is pricey. I hear the Japanese give the wagyu cattle massages with sake.

The following was an actual conversation I have had:

My brother: "Wow, being a Japanese cow doesn't sound bad! You just stand around all day, and they give you massages, and they feed you sake!"

Me: "Yeah, but then they kill you and eat your flesh."

My brother: "Yeah, there is that, I guess."

Nothing was meant to dis respect anyone. Not sure how you get that.
But yes....I will as you put it , tone it down...
If those words offended julie which I am sorry for, then I am not sure what we can and cant say on this forum....

Latest posts

Back