Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And with the first day of summer yesterday, fire season was off to a great start. Both the "Fish" and "Reservoir" Fires burning about 10 and 5 miles from our house. Up to about 5000 acres today and zero containment. Luckily no structures in it's path right now.
Mike

FishFire.jpg

Last edited:
I feel for you. We have had the "Dog Head" Fire burning for about a week now. Last I heard it was 19000 acres and 9% contained. It is located in the Monzano mountains south of ABQ. We are extremely HOT and DRY with this heat we have had the last week or so.

160616-arizona-doghead-fire_d4a7db22fc7b488ac625057482f62552.jpg

Getting close to my 1998 Subaru Forester I had to jettison in early 2013 (needed a new exhaust system). I do miss that car, especially when it gets nasty out on the road.

Not near the end yet, at least if a friend's 94 Sentra with 685,000 - yes, that is correct - is any indication. Fingers crossed, cuz a small car now costs what my F150 cost me back in 2001.

Had a laugh watching the NBA draft. Chev ad says a Silerado costs $38,000 well equiped. About what I paid for my 2012 F150. The funny part...my F150 is now worth around $45,000. No, that's not a typo... look up F150 Raptor. It just turned 40,000 miles, my last F150 got to 238,000 when it ate a valve and I'm hoping the new one makes that.....by then, I'll be watching daisy roots grow and my son will be driving it.

Had a laugh watching the NBA draft. Chev ad says a Silerado costs $38,000 well equiped. About what I paid for my 2012 F150. The funny part...my F150 is now worth around $45,000. No, that's not a typo... look up F150 Raptor. It just turned 40,000 miles, my last F150 got to 238,000 when it ate a valve and I'm hoping the new one makes that.....by then, I'll be watching daisy roots grow and my son will be driving it.

I'd say your Raptor is a tad beyond 'well equipped'. ;)

I look at truck prices all the time, since I live in a farming area and so I can't avoid them. Amazing. My '01 F150 has not been the most economical to run, a lot of cheaply made stuff on it had to be fixed over the years (Jacques Nasser was Ford prez then and was hammering suppliers to make it cheaper, cheaper), but it has 190,000 on it and I'd pay $20,000 MORE now for the same truck than I paid in 2000 for the '01. I'll keep it awhile longer. If the engine goes, I'll short or long block it.

I used to be comfortable, until the crash. For a guy like me who is still tapped out from the job he lost in the wake of the economic crash, new vehicle prices are insane. I read that the typical - TYPICAL - car loan now is 6 years, and they started a year ago offering 8-year loans. Man, by the time an 8-year note is paid, you could almost buy two cars with the total outlay, and the car it's on is worth a tiny percentage of the outlay.

If I had had those kinds of loans when I lost my job and then had to take a huge pay cut to get a new job, I would have had to go bankrupt. I know people do it, I am just not comfortable mortgaging my future earnings to have something now that will wear out and depreciate. I follow the old advice: The best way to double your money is to fold it over and put it back in your pocket.

I see two things that could make you look 25 again in that picture Craig. First, a nice beard trim to the frame the face, show off that grey you got going on (I'd have it too if I got more that three whiskers). Next, bump that 9oz wine glass up to a 22oz glass and BAM!! Keg stands and strip clubs. Wait, ok carboy stands and car pools?

I see two things that could make you look 25 again in that picture Craig. First, a nice beard trim to the frame the face, show off that grey you got going on (I'd have it too if I got more that three whiskers). Next, bump that 9oz wine glass up to a 22oz glass and BAM!! Keg stands and strip clubs. Wait, ok carboy stands and car pools?

I like the 22 oz glass idea, I'll have to implement that one. I decided the only thing I can do to attempt to look younger than 50 is to loose 60 to 75 lbs, so that's what I'm trying. Minus 5 lbs so far and counting, that picture gave me my motivation (strange that the idea of the health benefits and feeling better lose to the vanity of how I look to others).

I've got a anglianico that I'd like you to gather dust on Craig. I'll have to get all you info in the fall when kids are back in school and life goes back to normal.

Bad storm action Saturday night. We got off with a bunch of tree damage - I just finished that fence smashed by a topped maple on Memorial Day weekend! - but east of us it was really bad. New distillery less than two years old had half the roof ripped off its barrel building and a third of the roof ripped off the production plant. It's about 2 miles east of me. Lots of hue oaks ripped out of the ground, lots of roof ripped off barns and outbuildings. Might have been EF0 or EF1 tornados that did not touch down.

At my house, I watched the back yard and the weather vane was saying wind straight out of the east (wrong direction for a storm), but my 40-year-old, 50-foot-tall pecan tree was bent solidly north. Sustained winds of 30-35 mph with frequent gusts to 50+ mph for abut 10 minutes. Wish I had grabbed my camera. It was the worst sustained winds I have seen in 25 years here, and landfall hurricanes sometimes pass through here. Wow, got lucky. I'll have it all cleaned and fixed up in a few weeks.

Before...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back