Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finally had some time today to bottle a few and get some ready for a local competition. 2013 strawberry, 2013 rhubarb, 2014 chilean Barbera, 2014, Chilean Zinfandel, 2014 black raspberry, 2013, elderberry-black raspberry, and a 2013 mixed berry(freezer cleaner)

11038125_10200533842306406_5673050768541321395_n.jpg

Fitting………….

10574227_924877764195818_8960821390573439792_n.jpg

Runningwolf, those are some really nice pics. What kind of camera is it?

Bottled another batch...

Another of my Grandsons, Jesse, and I bottled a 6 gallon batch of
Dragon Blood F P.

# 3 DB F P Pics 3  Resized 400.jpg

# 3 DB F P Jess Filling 7 Bottles at a time  03-10-15  Resized 400.jpg

drumlinridgewinery,

It looks like you have a ton of headspace in each of those carboys. I would advise topping them up to about 1 to 2 inches below the stopper.

Does headspace matter as much if you purge it with CO2 prior to capping?

Capping? Do you have a hard pressure tight seal on the carboy, or are you using a fermentation trap??

If you use a fermentation trap, then yes, head space definitely matters. Get your carboys filled up and keep them that way.

Keep in mind that a fermentation trap will allow outside air into your carboy in the exact same way that gas is allowed out of the carboy. This is due to the expansion/contraction of that volume of air due to temperature and barometric changes. The more head space you have, the more outside air will be allowed in.

Purging with CO2 may be fine for a week or two (depending), but simply will not work over a longer period of time.

I'm talking about a carboy with more than a few inches of headspace, where the space is purged with Co2, and an airlock put on top. I guess I don't understand how that would not be good long term.

I'm talking about a carboy with more than a few inches of headspace, where the space is purged with Co2, and an airlock put on top. I guess I don't understand how that would not be good long term.

Your carboy will "breathe".. When temperatures rise, and that air in your carboy warms up, it expands and some gas will escape through your trap. When temperatures fall, and that air in your carboy cools, it contracts drawing outside air into your carboy. Temperature changes will eventually expel your CO2, replacing it (eventually) with outside air.

You might argue that your temperature never changes, but the very same effect occurs when barometric changes occur (based on weather conditions). As the barometric pressure falls, the air in your carboy will be drawn out. As the barometric pressure rises, outside air will be pushed into your carboy.

So, unless you have a pressure tight seal, CO2 (or any other gas for that mater) is ineffective. Additionally, the bigger the headspace the more ineffective it becomes.

I know a lot of folks that have been drawn into a false sense of security believing that purging will indefinitely protect their wine only to end up with oxidation in the end.

My advice is to forget purging and fill up your carboys to within 2 inches of the stopper. You could simply keep pumping CO2 into your carboy every week, but opening up your wine on a weekly basis really defeats the purpose.

Last edited:
Real nice Jim! I really like the label.

I have a "wedding bottle". It's a jeroboam Bordeaux (4.5 liters) that I fill and label to be consumed during the rehearsal dinner. So far, only used once and I have 8 unmarried nieces and nephews and 4 unmarried second cousins. I wish these kids would get it together, uncle John is thirsty!!!!!

Back