Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a teen I worked for a farmer who had to be about 150 years old. He'd arrive at the barn with a trailer of freshly baled hay and start tossing them up into the loft. As a husky 19 yo, I'd starting out ok, but by the time the trailer is empty, I'm fighting to keep up with this guy tossing bales upwards into the loft.

He'd leave, and when he got back 40 minutes later with a new load, I had just barely finished organizing the bales, since at the end I was putting them ANYPLACE that gave me room for his next one. Then we'd repeat the process.

Until you've worked for a farmer, you have NO idea what physical labor really is. The sad part is that he's at least 50 years older than you are, and he's not even sweating. 😂

Every teenager should do this for at least a week. This is a primer for reality!

BTW -- wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt. You will still have hay in places you didn't even know you had.

AND drink a quart of water between each load.

As a teen I worked for a farmer who had to be about 150 years old. He'd arrive at the barn with a trailer of freshly baled hay and start tossing them up into the loft. As a husky 19 yo, I'd starting out ok, but by the time the trailer is empty, I'm fighting to keep up with this guy tossing bales upwards into the loft.

He'd leave, and when he got back 40 minutes later with a new load, I had just barely finished organizing the bales, since at the end I was putting them ANYPLACE that gave me room for his next one. Then we'd repeat the process.

Until you've worked for a farmer, you have NO idea what physical labor really is. The sad part is that he's at least 50 years older than you are, and he's not even sweating. 😂

Every teenager should do this for at least a week. This is a primer for reality!

BTW -- wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt. You will still have hay in places you didn't even know you had.

Fortunately, I am cutting twine off round bales. I gave up on squares 27 years ago. But I do know exactly what you mean, having done that. A farming lifestyle is physically demanding. In my own operation, I have one worker: me. After 31 years, I am getting ready to sell the herd in spring 2023 and call it a day at 33 years of farming. I will convert the place to hay production and lease it out.

As a teen I worked for a farmer who had to be about 150 years old. He'd arrive at the barn with a trailer of freshly baled hay and start tossing them up into the loft. As a husky 19 yo, I'd starting out ok, but by the time the trailer is empty, I'm fighting to keep up with this guy tossing bales upwards
He'd leave, and when he got back 40 minutes later with a new load, I had just barely finished organizing the bales, since at the end I was putting them ANY that gave me room for his next one. Then we'd repeat the process.

yup hay and pithing watermelons, at 15 i pitched watermelons against a 84 year old, bout the only reason i kept up was when we would uncovered a rattle snake ,off he'd go chasing them, he'd get the tail work it like a bullwhip and pop most of their heads off, the rest where dead with a broken neck..
yup young in's ain't got a clue. as for hay God was i happy about round bales,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back