Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@hounddawg said “was i happy about round bales”

Yes. Big round bales showed up once we were off to College and no longer available to help put up the square ones. Must say the rack wasn’t bad, but the hay mow could be hot 🥵!

Well, they still square bale for horses, and we do a lot of horses in these parts. We got out of the horse business a few years back. I changed the fencing around somewhat and started planting grape vines in the same area. Then I converted 3 stalls into a crush room. I can tell you from experience that drinking wine with my feet up in the sun room is more fun that mucking stalls on a day like today (it's 24 here currently). Sad part is that I can't get anyone in these parts to bale hay on our land (for free). Cattlemen in these parts would rather grow corn and then round bale it for feed...

This is along the same lines of an exercise I have given students in the past. Calculate the percentage of mass in the solar system of the sun as compared to everything else in the solar system. Most are truly stunned by the answer. We also made trips to the parking lot with sidewalk chalk to draw a representation of our solar system, I let them pick the scale. After we get the Oart cloud and Kuiper belt objects down, I tell them to calculate the nearest star (system) so that we can draw it as well. They are typically surprised (again) at how far they will have to drive to draw this star. The moral of the story, you have to really sit and contemplate the scale of our solar system/galaxy to really start to understand the enormity of our physical (cosmic) surroundings. And I didn't even bring the universe, as we understand it, into the picture. I have been working on it for close to a life time and am still in awe. I'll step away from the podium now...

Back