Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@hounddawg said “was i happy about round bales”

Yes. Big round bales showed up once we were off to College and no longer available to help put up the square ones. Must say the rack wasn’t bad, but the hay mow could be hot 🥵!
yup. i was always voted stacker, i could stack a load so high that i had to ride on top to the barns, for some reason my stacks stayed together, you throw hay, you handles half to a third, you stack you handle every one, who ever the team was we,d use 5 including one driver, 3 throwers who'd swap around, and me stacking, good memory, killing work, and yep @Khristyjeff not one part of hay was easy i see you know too,,, cutting, raking, bailing, all of it start to finish, good hard honest work, in my area i was i think i was the first to feed round to horses, back then round was for cattle, square for equine,
i still have a couple horses, Spanish standard red roan jack and 4 mules, people ask how i keep them so fat, even the Dexter cattle , zero feed, just good short grass hay,,
Dawg

Well, they still square bale for horses, and we do a lot of horses in these parts. We got out of the horse business a few years bacut my k. I changed the fencing around somewhat and started planting grape vines in the same area. Then I converted 3 stalls into a crush room. I can tell you from experience that drinking wine with my feet up in the sun room is more fun that mucking stalls on a day like today (it's 24 here currentlyhehe ). Sad part is that I can't get anyone in these parts to bale hay on our land (for free). Cattlemen in these parts would rather grow corn and then round bale it for feed...
yup , I STILL use round, back then i ran a band of 29 mares, registered APHA AND QH, all with round bales, YEAH some still use square, but most don't. i was learnt to wean with their heads tied, then after they were over milk fever, they are put in a barbed wire fence, the ground filled with rock and briars , and very well bred animals, no stalls, once mine were weened , they were were well educated for life, you only pamper a horse after they knew how to act right, the man i learnt from APHA REG # WAS 00000059, Joe Steel, Dont remember how many zeros but the only numbers was 59. he was the 59th member in the AMERIAN PAINT HORSE ADMINASTRATION , HIS QH was even older, but QH goes back long ago, my QH MARE an be traced back into the 1700's even further, but i got tired to go further, back then they were still open registry, 4 breeds hence the quarter horse, hehe now i got a paint and a QH and a fox trotter with papers up the yeng-yane, to breed a few mules, ole Joe is probably spinning in his grave, but my mares are in their 20's, never breed a mare till 3 coming 4 , you'll get more and better foals,
Dawg

yup , I STILL use round, back then i ran a band of 29 mares, registered APHA AND QH, all with round bales, YEAH some still use square, but most don't. i was learnt to wean with their heads tied, then after they were over milk fever, they are put in a barbed wire fence, the ground filled with rock and briars , and very well bred animals, no stalls, once mine were weened , they were were well educated for life, you only pamper a horse after they knew how to act right, the man i learnt from APHA REG # WAS 00000059, Joe Steel, Dont remember how many zeros but the only numbers was 59. he was the 59th member in the AMERIAN PAINT HORSE ADMINASTRATION , HIS QH was even older, but QH goes back long ago, my QH MARE an be traced back into the 1700's even further, but i got tired to go further, back then they were still open registry, 4 breeds hence the quarter horse, hehe now i got a paint and a QH and a fox trotter with papers up the yeng-yane, to breed a few mules, ole Joe is probably spinning in his grave, but my mares are in their 20's, never breed a mare till 3 coming 4 , you'll get more and better foals,
Dawg

I guess folks in these parts are leery of horses getting sick from the middle of round bales that might get a little moldy. Cows can eat it, but a little colic and a long night can make one a little gun sly. A friend puts up a lot of hay (alfalfa/timothy mix) that the horse folks love to feed. They grind it and add to feed as it's high quality stuff. He puts in about 250,000 bales a year and rarely touches any of it by hand. It a cool operation. I go help him sometimes as he can't seem to hire anyone these days. No one wants to work for money, and it's not hard work. I usually cut or tedder.

Latest posts

Back