Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tell people that where I grew up, everyone carried a knife, and felt naked without one.

Most ask me if I grew up in an inner city and/or rough neighborhood.

Nope, I grew up on a small dairy farm. At least 3/4 of the people in my high school carried a 2-3/4" pocket knife, as ya never know when you'd need it for something. NOT cutting people ...

:p

And, still do!!!

I tell people that where I grew up, everyone carried a knife, and felt naked without one.

Most ask me if I grew up in an inner city and/or rough neighborhood.

Nope, I grew up on a small dairy farm. At least 3/4 of the people in my high school carried a 2-3/4" pocket knife, as ya never know when you'd need it for something. NOT cutting people ...

:p

Hay bale twine. Thats what mine mostly cuts. Tis just about the season here, too...

Hay bale twine. Thats what mine mostly cuts. Tis just about the season here, too...
As a teen I worked for a farmer who had to be about 150 years old. He'd arrive at the barn with a trailer of freshly baled hay and start tossing them up into the loft. As a husky 19 yo, I'd starting out ok, but by the time the trailer is empty, I'm fighting to keep up with this guy tossing bales upwards into the loft.

He'd leave, and when he got back 40 minutes later with a new load, I had just barely finished organizing the bales, since at the end I was putting them ANYPLACE that gave me room for his next one. Then we'd repeat the process.

Until you've worked for a farmer, you have NO idea what physical labor really is. The sad part is that he's at least 50 years older than you are, and he's not even sweating. 😂

Every teenager should do this for at least a week. This is a primer for reality!

BTW -- wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt. You will still have hay in places you didn't even know you had.

As a teen I worked for a farmer who had to be about 150 years old. He'd arrive at the barn with a trailer of freshly baled hay and start tossing them up into the loft. As a husky 19 yo, I'd starting out ok, but by the time the trailer is empty, I'm fighting to keep up with this guy tossing bales upwards into the loft.

He'd leave, and when he got back 40 minutes later with a new load, I had just barely finished organizing the bales, since at the end I was putting them ANYPLACE that gave me room for his next one. Then we'd repeat the process.

Until you've worked for a farmer, you have NO idea what physical labor really is. The sad part is that he's at least 50 years older than you are, and he's not even sweating. 😂

Every teenager should do this for at least a week. This is a primer for reality!

BTW -- wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt. You will still have hay in places you didn't even know you had.
I agree, I grew up on a dairy farm. You never finish, but only stop to sleep.

Don't forget the handkerchief to cover you nose and mouth. It's bad enough to have chaff all over your sweating self, but hay boogers are badddd.

I worked on a farm one summer down in swampEast MO. Hay baling, then later detassling corn. You decide pretty quickly that working for a living isn't what you want to do.

Latest posts

Back