Please hold my hand (bottling)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misskimmie

Junior
Reaction score
I have blackberry wine (fresh fruit) that's been sitting in secondary since September. The last time I racked it was just before Christmas. It still has sediment so I'm thinking that I should rack at least once more. I sampled it and it's pretty good so far. I'm getting anxious to bottle but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I pulled out my box of chemicals and winemaking supplies...
I don't have another free carboy - just a bucket.
Besides acid, pectic, energizers and nutrient...
I have a "Titret"(for sulfite) but don't remember how to use
I have PH test strips
ditto K sorbate powder
ditto campden tablets

Is it still ok to rack into sterile bucket and quickly return wine to carboy ?
Should I be doing something with one or more of the above items?

Thank you,

Kim (I'm liking this new hobby)

Kim you didn't mention the size of your batch. I would do just what you said. Rack into a sterilized bucket and right back into your cleaned/sterilized carboy. Add the appropriate amount of k-meta or cam tablets.

Hi Kim,

Yes you are going to like this hobbie, do like Dan says and if you are going to backsweeten then make sure you add sorbate before.

oops, I meant to. 5 gallons. What's better k meta or cam? Is there a difference. Should I do this before or after racking?

Kmeta is better. Dissolve 1/4tsp in about 1/3 cup of wine (stir it up good) and mix back into wine. I add it into the clean carboy as I am racking.

I agree with dan but campden can be used also instead. They are one in the same except the tablets need to be crushed really well and then dissolved and they cost more, they are a better alternative mainly when making like 1 gallon batches as trying to divide 1/4 tsp into 6ths is nearly impossible without a very accurate small scale. 1 tablet per gallon is what is used and 1/4 tsp of sulfite per 5-6 gallons is what is needed for K-Meta. If you plan on sweetening this then you need to add the K-sorbate also and that is 1/2 tsp per gallon. Like said above, sanitize the bucket, rack into the bucket, clean and sanitize the carboy and rack back into it. I would do as Runningwolf also said and dissolve the meta and put that right into the bucket and rack your wine right onto it not letting the wine splash much at all because its probably very low on sulfites at the moment, Put the racking hose right to the bottom of the bucket so once there is a little wine in there the rest of the wine will be filling it under the top unexposed to 02.

Latest posts

Back