Please help--- re: super fast fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubbermonkey

Junior
Reaction score
8 days ago I started my first big batch of wine. Doing a welches concetrate batch.

starting SG was 1.09
Fermentation was ultra fast and was down to 1.15 in 3 days. I then racked to secondary.

Fermentation is still going strong... but the sg is at 0.98....

what do I need to do here? Just let it keep going? or add sorbate and wait for it to clear?

LOL, apparently you have prime conditions for fermenting. Let go, it is done fine.

Not much. Was this a gallon batch as they do go very fast and thats normal, the bigger the batch up to a certain point and then it sees to all ferment out at around the same time.

it could possibly go to .992 but I would think more like .994

RubberMonkey:

Two things...

1. Patience. Let the wine finish fermenting. Don't be in a rush to finish & bottle. The wine will be better for it.

2. Learn about specific gravity and reading the hydrometer. SG should be quoted as 3 decimals. In your case... Started at 1.090. Down to 1.015 (NOT 1.150 which is what you said). Currently at .98? .980? Unlikely. You probably mean .998. Thus Julie's comment makes sense.

Steve

cpfan... thanks... i am a rookie.. all these decimals :(
For many rookies, reading and understanding the hydrometer is a REAL toughie. You're doing good, because you have readings and are paying attention to them.

Steve

Latest posts

Back