Pink Peppercorn Pear wine (The Triple P)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polarhug

Reaction score
Pears look to be on sale at 99cents a lb (usually here in Alaska its $3-5 per lb!) So I think I will start a *fun* batch of pear/welch white wine this weekend. Maybe 25lbs for a 6 gallon batch, and then doing 10lbs more after stabilization for more aroma and flavor?? Last batch a lot of the delicate pear nuances really got lost in the yeast scrub.

I plan on adding in some bananas + raisins for body, and welch's white niagara as well.

Here is where the FUN part is. Splitting off about 3 gallons to also add in a pink peppercorn extract closer to bottling time. I've been testing this pink peppercorn/vodka extract and it is AMAZING. Sweet up front, full of florals with a really slight spice kick.

With all the pepper wines I've seen on here, I know I can count on you guys to let me know if this is a bats**T crazy idea. Because if it is... then I'm REALLY going to want to try it!

My thoughts are see how it tastes When it gets close to bottling time. If good or great, try a bit of bench testing with your pink peppercorn. That way if you decide you don't like it or if it isn't quite right, you won't mess up the whole 3 gal. If it is good, add away. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thanks that a great idea. I got my box of pears - 45 lbs yesterday BUT they are rock solid. The grocery display ones were perfect ripe but the nice produce lady didn't want me to take them all and got me a box from cold storage. It will be 1-2 weeks before I can start now. Ack!

What is more effective, aging on additional fruit after fermentation OR making an f-pac to add?

On f-pac you would cook the holy bu-jeesus out of it... isn't there aroma lost?? Also what about the pectin set on fruit I thought boiling it was a no-no?

Since you are going to use the welches, how about fermenting down to 1.030 or 1.040 or so with just the welches. Have your pears ready, I ran mine thru the grinder on my apple press last year. Anyway, add some water to them, just enough to cover. Add your pectic enzime and let it sit for a day. Now when the welches are down to the above s.g. add the pear slurry to the primary. Let it finish out and bet that should keep the flavor up. I have not tried this, just thinking about it. if you do try it, keep us informed on how it turns out. Good luck with it, Arne.

This weekend I sliced and froze 20lbs of the ripest pears. Along with 7lbs of frozen then boiled up bananas. Then I let them sit overnight in a warm place to juice out with the pectic enzyme. Just added in the yeast last night.

I knew the freezing would break down the fruit - but I had never froze pears before. Holy Shizzle it looks like baby food this morning. It is a thick puree slurry with nary a solid piece of fruit to be seen! There is about 5gallons of puree.

I ended up not using welches. 6lbs of sugar. Really trying to get that elusive pear aroma and taste to show for me. Now I have to decide on whether to make a F-Pac or "dry hop" 10lbs of additional pears after stabilizing. What would add the best nose?

My thick pear slurry morphed and tried to crawl out of the bucket overnight. There was at least 5" of headspace between it and the airlock when I went to bed & this morning there was a spray foam of pears coming out the bulging lid sides. The airlock sounded like a machine gun.

I didn't have time to open the lid and sanitize a blow off tube before having to leave for work so i'm hoping it holds long enough to siphon a gallon off tonight to pull the pressure off.

Lots of towels, lots of laundry. :)

Me too! I ended up with 4 solid gallons. Half will be plain pear, half pink peppercorn. Pear aroma is amazing, I dry hopped 3 additional lbs or pear for a week. I have the extract going, I'll add that close to when i'm ready to bottle up!

For furture reference, don't snap the lid down on the primary especially on a fruit wine. LOL, they do love to make volcanco's! Keeping a towel of a loose lid is all you really need until fermentation slows down.

Latest posts

Back