Whit grape/pear wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadini

Reaction score
This fall I found 2 small pear trees tucked away at the back of my local orchard. I have no idea what type they are, but they’re small and red and delicious.
I picked all I could-25 lbs. They’ve been sitting in my freezer ever since waiting for me to decide what to do with them. I’m going to try to recreate a fruit juice we used to love when my eldest was a baby, a white grape/pear.
Here’s my recipe-
21 lbs chopped/frozen pears
1 lb chopped/frozen-crabapples
3 cans frozen white grape concentrate
3 gallons water
9 cups of sugar
2Tbsp pectic enzyme
QA23 yeast
1.5tsp yeast energizer
1 tsp fermaid o
1.5 tsp Opti White
PH-3.4
I’ve saved 5 lbs of pears and 2 cans of concentrate for secondary if I think it’s needed.
Edit: I tasted it tonight before pitching the yeast and I’m disappointed with the grape flavor so I’m taking @salcoco’s advice and adding all concentrate to the must. I’m doubling it actually. Im on the fence about the tannins though. I was hoping the crabapples would cover that.

Last edited:
We just bottled-and tasted!-this on Sunday and it turned out great. I bottled it dry but I have to admit that a touch of sugar really brings out the delicate pear flavor. I’m doubling the recipe this year.

Attachments

• 36973E4C-9465-486B-9516-B1955DD59A26.jpeg
    36973E4C-9465-486B-9516-B1955DD59A26.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back