Pinching off grapes on young vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wzazdzez

Reaction score
I've got some carlos scuppernong muscadines that I planted this year. they were 2yr bare root. I've been training the vines this year, and I've also been pinching off all the tiny grapes, there's no harm in that is there? "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip"

Last edited:
Most sources I've read say to do just that, cut them off to improve vine/root growth. I did that to my 2& 3 yr. old's last year. Last week the deer did that to my 4 year olds. OUCH! Had about 15 beautiful bunches of Catawba's. This week the deer ATE all the new years shoots on my Merlot vines. Venison anyone! Roy

remove em all for the first two yrs (not sure if muscadines are an exception, someone can clarify) on the vigorous vines leave some fruit the thirds yr , on the less vig wait till yr four...you will be happy you did

Yes I agree pinch them off and kill the deer and make sauage then you can have deer sauage and cheese on crackers to go with your wine

Does bird netting deter deer from eating the grapes? I know they don't like fishing line and the netting would seem to be similar in touch.

Thanks,

Bob

I was thinking about using bird netting to deter the deer. Question is how long can you leave the bird netting on? Will it inhibit vine growth? I only have two 60 ft. rows of vines [ each side of driveway] so it wouldn't to hard to put on, take off. Roy FightingTown Creek wines

Back