Grape root borer control

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I saw one of these in the vineyard last year. Which means my vines probably have the larvae in the roots. There isn’t a safe insecticide to control them so I’ve used predatory nematodes last year but have no idea if they will be effective so this year I’m going to put landscape fabric around the base of all my vines and see if that will trap the larvae as they emerge and hopefully keep them from getting into the root zone when they hatch. They can be quite devastating hopefully this will work. I never realized how many bugs live off my grapes.

B24D31D1-AFC8-4AED-B1A3-7A2CE39A5B76.jpeg

Any systemic products available?
From what I’ve read there isn’t anything approved for grapes. Supposedly the nematodes are effective as insecticides. The bugs have a two year life cycle and I hope by placing landscape fabric around the vines I can stop them from emerging and also stop them from hatching and burrowing down to the roots. Unfortunately I won’t know if anything works or not until I see vines declining. I’m probably overreacting

Latest posts

Back