phylloxera control

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reisjdmd

Reaction score
any suggestions of chemicals for systemic control. is it too late for this growing season?

Are you speaking of the leaf form or the root form of the phylloxera? Hybrids are generally resistant to the root form or at least tolerant of them. They are even more resistant to the leaf form and can withstand fairly large infestations of them without concern.

Danitol and Thiodex can be used, but are restricted (license required). Consult the label for directions and timing of application if you decide to use them. It generally isn't economically warranted.

i have it on vines...in some cases a LOT...i have the danitol..i have the license...but thus far i have sprayed no insecticide in four yrs and wish to try to keep it that way....in some ways if you are set up to do hedging of the vines you will disrupt them...they tend to be on the outer tips of the vines..so routine hedging disrupts their lifestyle to some natural degree

ugly little things

thanks both. iprefer pure organic growing, but this year the phly- has been murder on the frontenac and the frontenac gris. i have a wi source that i am in contact with regarding danitol, but would like to avoid it if possible. i will try the hedging, but 2 vines are particularlyseverly affected. we'll see>

Back