Cold Hardy Vinifera

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countygrapeguy

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran across this recently, a grape breeder in Quebec found a mutation of Gewurztraminer that is cold hardy and has been using it to breed other cold hardy pure vinifera varieties, having crosses with Chenin Blanc & Carmine. The vines are apparently cold hardy to zone 4a, although some need a longer growing season making them more suitable for zone 5.

Anyone have any experience with any of these varieties? It almost seems too good to be true 😅

I ran across this recently, a grape breeder in Quebec found a mutation of Gewurztraminer that is cold hardy and has been using it to breed other cold hardy pure vinifera varieties, having crosses with Chenin Blanc & Carmine. The vines are apparently cold hardy to zone 4a, although some need a longer growing season making them more suitable for zone 5.

Anyone have any experience with any of these varieties? It almost seems too good to be true 😅
Looks interesting. I would love to give the Gewurztraimener a try… as luck has it I have an empty trellis with room for 14. I may have to give them a call.

Latest posts

Back