grape phylloxera

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck-crisler

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience controlling phylloxera? How do you control them? This year I had a significant phylloxera problem. I have 72 own rooted vines and about 1/4 had phylloxera galls on the leaves, which also means on the roots. There are 2 Himrod (table grapes) that had them the worst. But they also showed up on Chancellor, Foch, La Cressant. When I realized the problem I hand plucked the leaves/stems that were affected and took the bag to the transfer station. Some of the Chancellor berries were stunted. I don't want to rip out the vines and start again, so I plan to try to control them better next year. First, I will rip out the Himrod. Then, in early April I plan to spray oil/lime sulfur, hoping to kill exposed eggs. The vines won't start growing until early May. I have read (U of Arkansas) that Surround WP is effective for suppression. I will hand pick all leaves that show galls. Is there anything else I should do? I spray every 2 wks for bugs and fungus, but I won't use a systemic. Will malathion kill the crawlers? It isn't labeled for them. Thank you for all suggestions.

Back