Phylloxera help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wineisgud

Reaction score
I had one of my 16 vines (Marquette) grow quite vigorously in its first year of growth last year and show significant phylloxera. Since it’s early in the vines life should I just pull it? Is it still in the soil and replanting in the same spot with a propagated cutting not a good idea?

I would stick with the vine you already have. It has way more root mass than a cutting. You could hedge your bets and plant a cutting nearby, but I would expect the existing vine to be fine.

H

I assume you mean it had significant foliar phylloxera (leaf galls). This can be controlled with timely applications of insecticide but it will probably still be in the soil and show up again on a replacement vine. I don't worry about it unless it affects more than half the foliage. Most vines will tolerate it pretty well.

use Seven in your spray tank with other chemicals will kill the leaf phylloxera. if left alone it can denude the wine of leaves and inhibit any nutrient draw for winter protection. eventually vine dies due to cold exposure,

use Seven in your spray tank with other chemicals will kill the leaf phylloxera.

Last I checked, Sevin was not rated for phylloxera, which is kind of hard to believe since it kills almost everything. Assail does list phylloxera. I haven't seen much phylloxera in my vineyard since I added it to my rotation for JB.

H

I have also used Sevin and it controls phylloxera well. Probably just haven’t done the tests to list it.

Phylloxera on the leafs of American vines will not kill the vines. It looks ugly, but the vines should survive. Phylloxera is a death sentence to European vines, not from leaf damage, but from the root form of phylloxera which will kill the vines by killing the roots. Meanwhile, I have never seen any leaf phylloxera damage to my European vines.

I actually grow American vines for root stock, for grafting, and they often have significant phylloxera leaf damage. But the vines do fine, never had one die. In fact, they are quite vigorous and healthy. They long ago adapted to phylloxera. Hybrids should perform somewhere in between. But since the main issue is phylloxera on the roots, which most hybrids address rather well., I would not worry too much about phylloxera on the leafs.

Last edited:
the vine succumb not due to the leaf phylloxera , what occurs is the vine is void of leaves or very few leaf for a bad case. this inhibits nutrient up take for over wintering. the vine dies due to lack of these nutrients and cold weather.

the vine succumb not due to the leaf phylloxera , what occurs is the vine is void of leaves or very few leaf for a bad case. this inhibits nutrient up take for over wintering. the vine dies due to lack of these nutrients and cold weather.

Similar to vine mites. Which my vines do have. But in most cases, the infection is not of enough concern to really bother the vine. Simply monitor the infection, and in most cases, one need not treat it unless it gets excessive. And I have had my root stock vine leaf covered with phylloxera galls, and the vines still do fine.

This particular vine one of the most vigorous too. Good to know it’s not a lost cause. I’ll see if spraying helps control the leaf galls.

I've noticed wild Am grapes will have a severe case of leaf phylloxera and sadly, they thrive.

I've noticed wild Am grapes will have a severe case of leaf phylloxera and sadly, they thrive.

The leaf form of Phylloxera is only one of one possible means of reproduction of this pest. Even removing the leaf infection, phylloxera can continue to propogate and reproduce on the roots of American, American hybrids and other grapes. Given that American grapes are the root stock to keep European Vinifera going, I am glad American grapes survive despite infection, so they can provide root stock that is resistant to phylloxera. Will be true till someone figures out how fully disrupt it's complex life cycle. But no one has to date. Been trying for over 100 years. Spraying mostly makes vines "look nice", and can help with gross leaf infections (but those are rare, so spraying for leaf issues is often a waste of money -- integrated pest management is a cost effective way to live with some degree of pests, and not start spraying simply when one sees an issue) but does really nothing in removing this pest from the vineyard.

Latest posts

Back