Vine Protector Input

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
I've purchase these vine protectors for my 260 Enchantment vines that I planted last year.
I spray the rows with glufosinate for weed control, and I get paranoid every time I spray (or trim with string trimmer) worried about overspray or damage on the vine trunk.

My first thought is that weeds that do grow next to the vine inside the sleeve will be a PITA to remove.

What are your thoughts on the good or bad about using these vine protectors?

Thanks

1712849082525.png

I used the round plastic ones but either way, I am a huge fan. They protect from vermin as well as overspray and also act as a greenhouse, giving the plants a jump start.

What weeds I did have in the tube were easily removed by sliding the tube up a couple of inches and pulling out via the bottom of the tube. Not many grew as the plants were blocking most of the vertical space.

I used the round plastic ones but either way, I am a huge fan. They protect from vermin as well as overspray and also act as a greenhouse, giving the plants a jump start.

What weeds I did have in the tube were easily removed by sliding the tube up a couple of inches and pulling out via the bottom of the tube. Not many grew as the plants were blocking most of the vertical space.
I had a similar experience with the blue two piece grow tubes. The few weeds were easy to remove.

The tubes are very easy to remove at years end by cutting the zip ties and slicing the plastic sleeve open.

In year one, I used them on every vine until the fall when I removed them to help the plants move into dormancy.

In year two, I reinstalled them on perhaps 20% of the vines with the decision based upon how aggressively I pruned the vine back. If I cut back to 18 inches or below ( my irrigation wire was roughly 15 inches, then I reinstalled the tube. I removed the tubes as the year went along, generally when the canes got to pencil sized at the fruiting wire (36-40 inches).

Now as I go into year three, I’ll probably have 1-2% - predominantly where vines were replaced due to gopher damage or were heavily pruned by the deer prior to my installing a better deer protection scheme.

Thank you for all your input. I used the Blue X grow tubes last year until the temperature and humidity got high.
I'm most concerned about the potential for very high humidity now in my second year (I'm in NE Tennessee) and possible mold/fungus on the vine trunk.
I have the vineyard fenced for rabbits and deer, so that type of damage "should" be rare for me.
Thanks again!

If they are second year vines and did well last year, I’d skip the tubes… if you cut them way back, I’d install until any danger of frost is passed and you have decent bud break - say three inches of growth.

Latest posts

Back