Pear!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad yours is clearing. Mine is still cloudy as can be. Havn't tried anything to clear it yet, tho. Probably won't til spring now. The temps are going down in the basement but it will sit just fine for a few months. Racked a bunch of lees off and will again as time goes on. Good luck with yours, Arne.

awesome, i used bentonite in primary, insinglass and i added more pectic enzyme in secondary to help it along, the lee's are pretty crazy, like i racked it and had half an inch on second racking the following day. i will post up some pics soon, its still cloudy but i can see through it now where as before no way not a chance lol.

how will you be sweetening yours?

I made a few gallons of pear wine last year using Jack Keller recipe for Asian apple pears. I didn't use any bentonite and it cleared fine .

yeah,i tried out bentonite just to see if it would speed it up, i know pear can be a hard one to clear sometimes so i was trying everything i could think of to get it to clear quickly. as of this morning I was able to help a paper on one side of the jug and see that there is text on the paper. you can see each letter just to fuzzy to read what it says. another 2 weeks and it should be about ready to bottle, YAY time to make something else!!!!

tasted the pear last night and wow, it tastes terrible :)

im kinda thinking its the same issue i had last time i used bentonite in primary, it gets a very bitter taste and it takes a while to mellow out. Young alcohol was for sure there but the bitter taste was very forward. again I had the same issue with my first attempt at dragons blood and it went away around 1 month, this may be the last time i use bentonite in the primary. i will make another batch of pear later on and see what i come up with.

i will keep you all posted on changes

Pear takes a really long time to come into its flavor. I won't drink it unless it is a year and a half old. bentonite should not be imparting any off flavors to your wine.

hmm well i will rack it again soon then once clear i will bottle it and let it sit, im gonna have to push some dragons blood in a big way lol i need some quick easy drinkers my stash is running low

well it for sure needs to come around, im ready to drink some, why does this have to take so long :)

Make some welshes. Its drinkable early. Lol

already there :D

just trying to get this cold stabilization thing right lil to much acid :slp

I did rack this again and added my last bottle of pear juice to it, now its going to sit until it needs racked again or it clears and its ready to bottle.

Last edited:
well racked again its clearing nicely possibly one more racking but i believe I will be bottling next time.

okay i bottled 2 gallons today, the rest went into a bucket and into the freezer, im planning on removing ice crystals off the top of it until I get some pretty high +20% ABV pear flavored wine concentration.

first racking
SAM_1100.jpg

SAM_1099.jpg

final product
SAM_1104.jpg

SAM_1103.jpg

tastes like a semi-dry white, ive added 2 32oz bottles of organic pear juice, and i added some sugar to most of the bottels but any pear flavoring has yet to come forward. its still young though i put it in the basement at my parents to let it age and see what happens.

finished off the bottle in the pick last night, and i must say this is pretty darn good, pear flavoring is a little weak but its in there i get just a hint of it, im interested to see what a year brings with this stuff if the ummmm gremlins..yeah yeah gremlins dont get to it first :)

well I gave another bottle a go, and so far this is my best wine yet, its a semi-sweet to sweet, if it gets better in a year wow! this will be amazing

here is something new to add here, all of my pear wine was bottled at the same time and aside from one bottle which was at the bottom of the batch looked like the above, crystal clear. I put a couple of bottles in the refrigerator and a few in the basement, I went down to get a couple of bottles out of the basement as gifts to a friend and boom it looks like it did in the carboy pics above. not totally sure what happened to those, haven't pulled a cork yet but it almost makes me wonder if it starter fermenting again because the ones kept cold are perfect the ones in the basement are cloudy as all get out. I will post more after further inspection.

Latest posts

Back